Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

Failed to open the flash device

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I want to read the flash thru the EPCS device. 

The HAL alt_flash_open_dev() always returns 0. 

When I debug/trace the this function call, it seems that the HAL system can not find such device. 

Does any one know how I can fix this problem? 

BTW: 

The system.h does contain a defintion of the flash:# define EXT_FLASH_NAME "/dev/ext_flash"# define EXT_FLASH_TYPE "altera_avalon_cfi_flash"# define EXT_FLASH_BASE 0x00000000# define EXT_FLASH_SETUP_VALUE 40# define EXT_FLASH_WAIT_VALUE 160# define EXT_FLASH_HOLD_VALUE 40# define EXT_FLASH_TIMING_UNITS "ns"# define EXT_FLASH_UNIT_MULTIPLIER 1# define EXT_FLASH_SIZE 8388608# define EXT_FLASH_CONTENTS_INFO "" 

Regards, 

Kwok Wong
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello kwokwong, 

What kind of flash, board, Nios version are you using? There has been some trouble with 16 bit flashs in 8 bit mode. Please try to use the search function of the forum to get some hints. Let us know if you have solved the problem. 

Bye, 

niosIIuser
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

kwokwong, 

I'm afraid your diagnosis is incorrect, 

The system.h snippet shows that you have a CFI flash in your system, NOT an EPCS. That would require a snippet like 

# define EPCS_CONTROLLER_NAME "/dev/epcs_controller"# define EPCS_CONTROLLER_TYPE "altera_avalon_epcs_flash_controller"# define EPCS_CONTROLLER_BASE 0x02100000# define EPCS_CONTROLLER_IRQ 5# define EPCS_CONTROLLER_DATABITS 8# define EPCS_CONTROLLER_TARGETCLOCK 20# define EPCS_CONTROLLER_CLOCKUNITS "MHz" 

Do you have one of these in your system?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by rugbybloke@Dec 8 2004, 05:10 AM 

kwokwong, 

i'm afraid your diagnosis is incorrect, 

the system.h snippet shows that you have a cfi flash in your system, not an epcs. that would require a snippet like 

# define epcs_controller_name "/dev/epcs_controller"# define epcs_controller_type "altera_avalon_epcs_flash_controller"# define epcs_controller_base 0x02100000# define epcs_controller_irq 5# define epcs_controller_databits 8# define epcs_controller_targetclock 20# define epcs_controller_clockunits "mhz" 

do you have one of these in your system? 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks rugbybloke. I did confuse the external flash with the flash connected to the EPCS controller. 

I can now 'open' the /dev/epcs_controller device to read the flash! 

Regards, 

Kwok Wong
0 Kudos