Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

Failed to post DMA transmit request

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I tried to use the general Avalon-MM DMA controller in Qsys and use the following C code to implement the DMA transmit: 

# include <stdio.h># include "system.h"# include "io.h"# include "sys/alt_dma.h" # define CUSTOM_BASE_ADDR 0x00800000 int i = 0; alt_u32 data ; alt_dma_txchan tx; int main() { /*fill the array*/ for(i=0;i<10;i++) { data = i; } /*DMA*/ tx = alt_dma_txchan_open("/dev/dma_import"); if(tx != NULL) { printf("DMA TX channel open\n"); if(alt_dma_txchan_ioctl(tx, ALT_DMA_TX_ONLY_ON, CUSTOM_BASE_ADDR)<0) { printf("Error: Failed to configure the DMA\n"); } if(alt_dma_txchan_send(tx, data , 5, NULL, NULL)<0) { printf("Error: failed to post transmit request\n"); } else { printf("DMA done\n"); } alt_dma_txchan_close(tx); } else { printf("Error: Failed to open tx channel!\n"); } return 0; }  

Where the array is stored in an external memory while the CUSTOM_BASE_ADDR is a separate peripheral. The connection among NIOS, external memory and custom peripheral should be fine since I've tested with general reading/writing. 

Turned out "alt_dma_txchan_send(tx, data , 5, NULL, NULL)" always failed. 

Currently I'm not sure if the problem lies in the hardware part or the software. Please suggest if there's any problem in the above code.  

Thanks!
0 Kudos
0 Replies