Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Firefox is not working in ubuntu(12.04)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Helo, 

When i typed the firefox in my terminal, it showing the error like 

xpcomglueload error for file /usr/lib/firefox/libxpcom.so 

xibxulso: can not open shared object file: no such file or directory. 

Kindly any solution? 

Thanks, 

Alex.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Kindly no.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This forum is about linux on the Nios II target, not on PC. You should ask this question on a Ubuntu forum. 

Second as I said in my previous reply, you can expect this kind of problems when you start messing with the system libraries. IF you want to save yourself some trouble, reinstall Linux from scratch instead of trying to update or fix a broken installation. If you aren't that comfortable with fiddling around a Linux installation, try to install a distribution officially supported by Altera instead of Ubuntu(Red Hat 5/6 or SUSE 11 SP1), it should make it easier to run Quartus.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Strange, but my Ubuntu 12.04 came by default with Firefox working. It's also one of the lowest barrier-to-entry open source Linux with a lot of different installation methods, and proven to work with QII and ModelsimASE. We should allow more people to play with QII and Modelsim on open source platforms so as not to restrict their freedom on which tools to use.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Strange, but my Ubuntu 12.04 came by default with Firefox working. It's also one of the lowest barrier-to-entry open source Linux with a lot of different installation methods, and proven to work with QII and ModelsimASE. We should allow more people to play with QII and Modelsim on open source platforms so as not to restrict their freedom on which tools to use. 

--- Quote End ---  

Agreed. According to Google Trends, Ubuntu is much more popular than RedHat and has been for quite some time now (years). (Unless of course RedHat is just so good that no one ever searches it on Google. :-P) So why not support Ubuntu, Altera -- in favour of RedHat, even? Times change and, so far as I have observed, this little change took place in the market place years ago. No one uses RedHat any more. :-P
0 Kudos