Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12437 Discussions

Fitting a clock on a CycloneIV GX device with 115K Elements

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Good morning, 

As I'm not sure where to post this topic, I submit it here. 

I am currently developping on a CycloneIV_GX115. The manually crafted VHDL code works fine as far as I can see. However, in order to implement some functions, I have tried to switch the design to a NIOS_II processor which uses 32K M9K RAM plus a 128K ROM. 

With the NIOS II processor, the clocks that were previously fitting on the hard coded VHDL don't anymore. I get a message from the fitter with the input PLL I have put on the primary clock : 

error (176559): can't place mpll or gpll pll "pll_64_to_40:pll_inst|altpll:altpll_component|pll_64_to_40_altpll:auto_generated|pll1" in pll location pll_6 because i/o cell "clock" cannot be placed in i/o pin pin_l11 (port type inclk of the pll) 

If I try to route the clock signal directly, I get from the fitter : 

error (170084): can't route signal "clock~input" to atom "clock~inputclkctrl" 

The device is an ep4cgx110df31c7. I am using a clock (processor clock) on pin L11, single ended. I am also using a GXB clock differential LVDS on pins K15/L15 (this one fits), for GXB using differential pins AB4/3 and AC2/1. I konw that this clock isn't the dedicated clock for the corresponding GXB, but it is routed so on the board I was given, so I have to cope with it. 

Now, I have several hypothesis : 

- either the NIOS and the GXB routing is not possible (due to the RAM for instance) 

- or there is a problem with mismatching clocks from pins L11/L15 competing for the same resource (PLL6) 

Am I right thinking so ? Any help is welcome. Is there a way to use both clocks simultaneously with the NIOS design ? 

Kind Regards.
0 Kudos
0 Replies