Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Functional Unit in NIOS

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am completely new to Altera FPGAs and I want to use NIOS for some of my work. 

I was trying to configure some functional units on Qsys to no avail. 

I am using Altera 14.1.0.186 

I am aware of generating the preferred core with specified cache sizes etc. I am currently going through the NIOS II hardware development tutorial. I could not find the details on configurin come functional units in the document. Can I please now how to configure the following units. 

• Floating Point Unit 

• Floating Point Divider 

• Integer Multiplier 

• Integer Divider 

Thank you
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Integer Multiplier and Divider are available under the Arithmetic Instructions tab. If you are using e-core they are disabled. 

Floating Point unit is available as custom instructions (separate IP). Go to library and find "Floating Point Hardware 2", add that and connect the custom instruction slaves to Nios custom instruction master interface.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for the responses. Need to make some clarification. 

I have read in a research publication(2011) that it is possible to configure the floating point unit in the nios-f core without 

introducing them as custom instructions. I was looking for this feature in the new version and noticed that it is only possible to  

introduce floating point support as custom introductions. May be Altera has changed this feature over the years 2011 - 2015. could  

you please clarify my understanding?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

currently is behave in custom.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks a lot

0 Kudos