Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12409 Discussions

GNU Debugger on older, non-MMU uClinux?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I feel like this may be a stupid question, but I can't find a direct answer or any information that seems useful. I have been told by coworkers that there is no GNU debugger support on the version we use, but now I am maintaining an ongoing project and the software has become complex enough that I need to debug crashing issues. I am using the Nios II Linux/uClinux Community Release 20080619. Printing debug information to a JTAG terminal does not seem to be helpful at this point. Unfortunately, I cannot migrate to a newer version of uClinux right now either. Can I use the GNU debugger with this older, non-MMU version of uClinux? If so, are there any recommended resources to help me get started? I have looked at the Altera Wiki, but what I have found sounds like it applies to newer versions of uClinux with the MMU. Can anyone help or point me in the right direction? 

Thanks, 

Jason
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have determined that my original post was, in fact, contained stupid questions. I decided to try a GNU debugger tutorial on the Altera Wiki to see if I could get anywhere. This one http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/debug_apps to be more specific. It looks as if the GNU debugger does work with the version of uClinux I am using. I cannot say at this point how well it works, but things seem to happen as I expect.