Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Germs/Flash size in binary?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

I want to know how I can calculate the size of my .germs / .flash files when they are burnt into the flash. What size are they in binary??? 

Regards upfront 

GreateWhite.DK
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi -- 

I'm not sure I understand your question. 

The utilities srec2flash and hexout2flash each report the address range as they run. 

Afterwards, you can inspect the file (though you need to understand the various s-record or hexout formats to make sense f it). 

-- dvb
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi dvb. 

Thanks for your answer on my post. 

Yes the srec2flash reports this, but the hexout2flash does not. 

hexout2flash uses 0x600000 a default base adr and a size of 0xA2A00(666112 bytes). My safe image is compressed and the .sof file has a size of 408k. How do a calculate the size when this has been stored on the flash? 

I also want to calculate the size of my WOSFS.germs file. The WOSFS.germs contains my filesystem with som compressed files that I will extract directly into the RAM. When it is stored in the flash I don&#39;t know the exact size .(I could just take the file sizes of the files and add them up and then use this size, but that seems to be a bit newbie http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy.gif ) and not very exact). 

Regards 

GreateWhite.DK