Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12409 Discussions

Getting started with Linux on ARVIA V multiprocessors

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

Can anyone give some pointers as to how to start studying the develpoment with Linux on ARVIA V. 

I need to deal with multiprocessor on ARVIA V (ARM and NIOS). 

Now I'm not sure as to which OS is best suitable. 

NIOS need to interface PCI express - I'm not sure that the basic developments with EDS is suitable for that - it seems that it only supporsts uC and I'm not sure if uC supports PCIe. This leaves me with Linux. 

1. How to get started with Linux on ARVIA V ? (The EDS is more about uC, so I'm not sure as to the development on Linux). 

2. Does Linux support the mutex (test-and-set) which is required for multiprocessor access on interfaces on single fpga ? 

3. Does Linux suport ARVIA V interfaces (ethernet, rs-232). Or do I need to port the HAL implementation in Nios for example into Linux kernel ? 

4. Where can I find the SDK for linux ARM (and Linux Nios) with ARVIA ? 

Regards, 

Ran
0 Kudos
0 Replies