Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Getting started with Linux

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello folks, 

i currently try to get Linux run on a niosII processor within a cyclone III fpga. Unfortunately i have wheater a 3c120 or a nekk board available. So i had to start from the scratch with an custom board. 

I followed the instructions on alterawiki.com, but i'am not able to make the kernel boot on my system. 

Here is what i have done so far: 

1. Running OpenSuse 11.4 on a virtual machine 

2. Installed Quartus 11.0 IDE 

3. Installed nios2gcc 

4. Downloaded, checkedout and updated nios2-linux-20100621.tar 

5. Installed java-tool "sopc2dts" 

My toolchain runs perfectly --> I am able to configure and compile the kernel. 

So I created a simple SOPC-Builder Design witch contains only Flash Memory, SDRAM, Jtag_Uart, a timer-device and of course a niosII processor with mmu. 

So here some basic questions: 

1. Is "unstable-nios2mmu" still the recomended branch to use for an mmu based design? 

2. I'm a little confused about using device-tree! Is the dts-file the only location where the kernel will be configured for the corresponding board. Still need to edit some header-files?!? 

3. Wich image should be downloaded to the ram after compiling the kernel? 

Thank's a lot...
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello there. 

I am also trying to boot Linux on a Cyclone II 2C20 board (DE1) and I am also going to start at the same place, i.e. 'Linux for the nios II processor' on the altera wiki. 

I am planning to first understand the design (a reference design for the EP3C120 device can be downloaded from the page titled 'Creating_a_Nios_II_Design_with_an_MMU' at the wiki. 

Once upon a time, I was involved with hardware design, but its been a long time since Ive moved to (due to what they say circumstance) system software development (which means I'm as new as the next person out there :D). So if we could collaborate and perhaps if some seniors here could lend us a helping hand, we can make it. I plan to write a blog so that more and more system software developers find it interesting to take a shot at this. 

Thanks and Regards, 

Aijaz Baig.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Where should I start with? I am looking for a reference design for my DE1 board. Does anyone has that or knows a place where to get that?? 

I am all lost with it. Should I start with uCLinux first? or perhaps get u-boot up and running o it?? guidelines and/or pointers in the right direction are welcome
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

alterawiki has pretty much everything you need...