Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Golden Design Guidance

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm attempting to re-create the golden hardware design for the "de0-nano-SoC" or "Atlas SoC". 

Out of the box the device will boot and perform all of the basic functions. I can even compile and run code on it.  

However, if I try to use the design as is within the path: 

DE0-Nano-SoC_v.1.0.7_SystemCD\Demonstrations\SoC_FPGA\DE0_NANO_SOC_GHRD 

Nothing works. I've regenerated both the .rbf and .dtb then updated the using mkimage on the existing "boot.script" to create a new boot.scr to point to the updated files.  

I am able to use mkimage to re-create the OEM "boot.scr" and still boot. 

My setup is ahead of rocketboards guides. Using the golden reference design included on the installation CD and building it using Altera / Quartus 15.0 + updates.  

My steps for the GHRD in the path above: 

* use QSYS to update / generate the soc_system.qsys. 

* run the .tcl script generated by QSYS including the sdram pin locations and settings. 

* re-compile everything within Quartus including the new system. 

Boot-up looks as though the FPGA is never configured. I don't know what else to look at except that a flashing LED test within the FPGA code never starts. 

If I program the .sof with the test LED code using a board that is "live" then the LED flashes. It's only when I try to boot and configure the FPGA that things are dead. 

This has to be a fundamental misunderstanding on my part.  

Thanks in advance for your help! 

-Jon
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, did you try to download a version from the terasic web? I mean the cd content. it may contain updated cd content. Got 1.08 there. 

"http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?Language=English&No=941&PartNo=4#soc"