Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

HPS AMP running Linux + Bare-Metal

PMurp3
Beginner

I would like to design a system on a dual core HPS that runs Linux on cpu0 and a bare metal application on cpu1. I have searched high and low and cannot find any information on how to do this. Ideally I would like to have U-boot load the bare metal app, release cpu1 from reset, then continue booting Linux on cpu0. This would allow my bare metal app to boot much faster and not have to wait for the lengthy Linux boot. However, I don't see any way for U-boot to perform these tasks for cpu1. Has anyone had any experience with this?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Nooraini_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Currently I am reviewing the forum for any open questions and found this thread. I apologize that no one seems to answer this question that you posted. Since it has been a while you posted this question, I'm wondering if you have found the answer? If not, please let me know, I will try to assign/find someone to assist you. Thank you.

Regards,

Nooraini

0 Kudos
MelvinSwee_T_Intel

hi,

apologize for the delay in response, I will assign this thread to another engineer and will respond to you as soon as possible

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

This is a nice question.

you need to edit the Uboot to release the bare-metal first then continue booting the Linux?

We never test this before but from my experience this cannot work this way. I will check again if this is doable.

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Please use the following reference:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/lro1424280108409.html

Please let me know if this helps you.

Regards.

0 Kudos