Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12455 Discussions

HPS/ARM Freeze when reading SDRAM - Cyclone V

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I'm trying to execute a code on ARM-A9 that's part of the HPS inside the cyclone v (DE10-Nano) and when I try to access some specific SDRAM address the program freezes (program counter gets stucked), the curious aspect is that the freeze only happen when I read the content of specific addresses like (0xc000282). My code is simple, first I write an image from address 0xc00000 to 0xc4b000 and then I make a loop to read each byte address that represents a pixel, the code that I'm running is this: 

# include <assert.h># include <stdbool.h># include <stdio.h># include <stdlib.h> # include "alt_clock_manager.h"# include "alt_generalpurpose_io.h"# include "alt_globaltmr.h"# include "hwlib.h"# include "socal/alt_gpio.h"# include "socal/hps.h"# include "socal/socal.h"# include "hps_0.h"# include "system_crios.h"# include "mser.h" int main(void) { setup_system(); //mser_init(); while (1) { uint32_t *pt = 0x00C00282; uint32_t content; content = *pt; // IN THIS MOMENT I LOST CONTROL OF THE PROGRAM, THE PC KEEPS FREEZE //uint8_t test = getPixelLevel(641); // PIXEL 641 --> 0x00C00282 delay_us(ALT_MICROSECS_IN_A_SEC/10); } return 0; }  

The auxiliary functions like (setup_system) just make some malloc concerns but nothing special that could break my program flow, and if I try to read other addresses the programs returns the right pixel as I expect. The function that I had used to read the memory was this: 

uint8_t getPixelLevel(uint32_t pixel){ uint32_t *ptr_level = pixel+IMG_OFFSET_ADDR; uint8_t remain = pixel%4; uint32_t mask = (0xff << remain*8); uint32_t content = *ptr_level; uint8_t data = (content & mask) >> remain*8; return data; }  

Does someone has the same problem or know specific rules that I need to follow to read the SDRAM address?
0 Kudos
0 Replies