Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12436 Discussions

HPS EMAC DMA engine always in reset...

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello everyone ! 

In my current baremetal project, I use a Cyclone V 5CSXFC6C6 and I want to use the HPS emac in RGMII. 

On the board I developped, i had to use the FPGA I/O to route the GMII signals of the HPS. 

My QSYS project is based on this project (for the emac management) : https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/projects/cyclonevrgmiiexampledesign 

So I use QSYS "Emac interface splitter" & "gmii to rgmii adapter" module to make the GMII to RGMII conversion. 

The PHY i use is the Mikrel KSZ9021RL. 

To initialize HPS Emac & PHY, I use the method described in Cyclone V Hard Processor System Technical Reference Manual (cv_5v4.pdf), Ethernet Media Access Controller / Ethernet MAC Programming model. 

The "EMAC FPGA interface initialization" seems to works fine in my HPS software :  

• I reset the PHY  

• I reset the HPS EMAC0  

• I configure the EMAC0_clk to 250MHz  

• I bring the PHY out of reset and I check if rx_clk is present (it is the case)  

• The Qsys "gmii-2-rgmii" adaptor that I developped is running, so I assume that the corresponding clocks are correctly propagating.  

• I set the EMAC0 to GMII mode  

• I start the Ethernet Controller FPGA interface  

• I bring the EMAC out of reset  

Then, on my hardware, I have checked that both rx_clk (from PHY) and tx_clk (from EMAC) are present and are 125MHz. 

According to cv_5v4.pdf, I now have to reset the EMAC0 DMA module and continue the init but my problem appears here: 

For the DMA initialization, I have to reset the EMAC DMA module (Bus Mode Register, bit 0) and wait for the reset completion by pooling the same bit. 

--> The issue is that the module never goes back from reset... 

According to the documentation :  

"The reset operation is completed only when all resets in all active clock domains are de-asserted. Therefore, it is essential that all the PHY inputs clocks (applicable for 

the selected PHY interface) are present for the software reset completion." 

I'm quite sure that my PHY rx_clk is present at the emac0_rx_clk_in and that emac0_clk is successfuly set to 250MHz. 

Does someone have any idea of what happens here ? I think about it for some days, and I must admit that I have no more ideas... 

Thank you ! 

PS : on a previous board, I used the same HPS code to manage the EMAC and it worked great ! The only difference is that the PHY was connected to the HPS EMAC pins and not like here to FPGA pins...
0 Kudos
0 Replies