Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12590 Discussions

HPS Peripheral pins assignment.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello everyone, 

I am new to HPS based system. Here, I have a little bit confusion about the selection of HPS I/O set. 

I am confused that on which basis I have to select the HPS I/O Set 0 or Set 1 or 2. 

thanks
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello everyone, 

I also wanted to know about the purpose of using selecting the HPS I/O Sets. 

please reply me, I have spend a lot of time to find it but I couldn't.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, the function of the HPS I/Os depends on the settings of the multiplexer - for example an HPS I/O can be a SDMMC data pin or another peripheral. 

When you scroll down the Qsys HPS component, under the Peripherals Pin tab, you will see a Peripheral Mux Table. The left most column is the name of the pin, while the columns on the right shows the options that the pin can be assigned to. For example, pin name "RGMII0_TXD0" can be assigned to USB1.D0 if you select "HPS I/O Set 0" under the USB1 peripheral. Similarly, this pin can be assigned to EMAC0.TXD0 if you select "HPS I/O Set 0" under the EMAC0 peripheral. And so on... 

Note that the function that the pins are currently assigned to is highlighted in bold. If you do not assign the pin to any peripheral, you have the option to use it as GPIO (just click on the GPIO button located on the same row as the pin name) or Loan IO (similar as GPIO, click the button)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Now, to correlate the HPS Pin name to its actual location on the chip (grid number) search for the Cyclone V pinout. The Pin Name inside the pinout file should match the names located in the leftmost column of the Qsys HPS component

0 Kudos
PLeon1
Beginner

Hi...i am a new user here. In my case i tested off the board and getting 26k. You would think being on the board the meter would read a lower resistance not open line. I think maybe it has a faulty ic encoder. I ordered a new one I will check back when I get it soldered in.

0 Kudos