Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

HPS-to-FPGA DMA Interrupt

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi there, 

I am working with the Cyclone V and my goal is to transfer Data with the HPS-DMA-Controller (DMA330) and receive an "interrupt" in the FPGA on completion. 

The data transfer is already functioning. I configured the DMA-Controller via the DMAengine-API: 

tx = dma_dev->device_prep_dma_memcpy(dma_channel, dma_dst_addr, dma_src_addr, SDMA_BUF_SIZE, DMA_PREP_INTERRUPT ); cookie = dmaengine_submit(tx); dma_async_issue_pending(dma_channel); 

However, I do not receive the interrupt in the FPGA.  

I checked the HPS-to-FPGA-interrupt in Qsys. Which gave me 8 Interrupt lines corresponding to 8 DMA-channels in the DMAC.  

One thing that is not clear to me, that the DMAengine-API "offers" me 32 DMA channels while there are only 8 "physical" DMA-channels. 

How can that be? 

Currently I am using the API-channel nr. 7 and expecting the interrupt on the physical channel nr 7.  

I did a full recompile including SPL and U-boot with Buildroot.  

I would like to narrow this down. I guess either 

- there is no interrupt sent ( descriptor/ DMA-Controller not properly configured) 

or 

- it does not reach the FPGA ( I am missing a step where this HPS-to-FPGA Interrupt connections have to be enabled) 

or 

- I am listening on the wrong DMA-channel-interrupt 

Do you have an Idea what is going wrong here or how to proceed? 

Do you know any documentation about the HPS-to-FPGA Interrupts other than the "Cyclone V Hard Processor System 

Technical Reference Manual" ? 

https://alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15575&stc=1
0 Kudos
0 Replies