Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12453 Discussions

Having troubles with my first Nios project

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey guys, 

I am currently working on my first Nios project that communicates with an RTL component through the Avalon slave interface. I managed to get everything setup and instantiated in Qsys with no problems, however I am facing a few problem with the Eclipse software build tools.  

Ideally I would like to do my programming in assembly. I created a .S file (heard there are issues with .s?) but am receiving an error in the makefile. Specifically, the .slf file. There is also a message in the output log about an undefined reference to main. I do not have the specific errors handy right now, but I will post the ones I am getting tomorrow morning. Are there any other files that need to be include other than a .S file? I was only including a .S file, is this an issue? Are there any good references out there to creating an assembly project for the Nios? I havent been able to find much on the subject. 

Also, since I will be communicating out via the Avalon master, how is this done in assembly? I know I can use IOWR(),IORD() functions to access Avalon-MM registers in C, but am not sure about the assembly registers.  

Thanks.
0 Kudos
0 Replies