Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12590 Discussions

Hello, Are there updated HAL drivers that support a 32 Gig FAT32 SD card?

LVo001
Beginner

I've been working with the following SOPC example 

ftp://ftp.intel.com/pub/fpgaup/pub/Intel_Material/15.1/University_Program_IP_Cores/Memory/SD_Card_Interface_for_SoPC_Builder.pdf

I've built and compiled a nios processor along with the SD card interface using IP from the university program. My nios design works and runs on a FPGA, because I can control some blinking LEDs with it. Where my C program fails is trying to detect an SD card. This is the function that fails it:

alt_up_sd_card_is_Present()

I understand that the drivers were meant for a 2 Gig SD card.  Right now I'm using a 32 Gig SD card.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Have you tried using the 2GB SD card to see if it work correctly?

Based on the design example, the current version of the driver supports only FAT16.

Also, based on my knowledge, the FAT32 driver is commonly used in cards for 4GB and 32GB, so I am unsure if you are able to use the 32GB SD card for this example.

Regards.

0 Kudos
LVo001
Beginner

Hello,

I have not tried using a 2GB SD card, because I don't have one laying around. So, is the answer to my question NO, there are no updated HAL drivers to interface with a 32GB SD card?

If the answer is NO, what steps can I can I take to begin to interface with a 32 GB SD card?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

The 2GB is a FAT16 file format, and the 32GB or 4GB is a FAT32 file format. Unfortunately, I could not find any information regarding an update HAL drivers to support FAT32 file systems, thus I would have to say no.

You could check from Rocketboards to try ramp up on booting via SD card etc., (select your desired board and Quartus version, then the task you are interested in_:

https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Main/GettingStarted

0 Kudos