Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Help uClinux

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I want to install uClinux (2.6.9) on Cyclone 3 EP3C25F324C8, following the tutorial "http://scorpius.homelinux.org/~marc/nios2.html". 

When i arrive at the command "make ARCH=nios2nommu CROSS_COMPILE=nios2-linux-uclibc- hwselect SYSPTF=/home/nastri/nios/sopc.ptf" for the kernel configuration, there would be a list of hardware resources of my Nios system, but the list is empty (under "Please select a device to upload the kernel to:"). In the following it can be observed the problem in the Linux (Debian) shell. 

"nastri@debian:~$ su 

Password:  

root@debian:/home/nastri# export PATH=$PATH:/opt/nios2/bin 

root@debian:/home/nastri# cd linux-2.6.9 

root@debian:/home/nastri/linux-2.6.9# make ARCH=nios2nommu CROSS_COMPILE=nios2-linux-uclibc- hwselect SYSPTF=/home/nastri/nios/sopc.ptf 

no emulation specific options. 

RUNNING hwselect 

--- Please select which CPU you wish to build the kernel against: 

(1) cpu - Class: altera_nios2 Type: s Version: 7.08120 

Selection: 1 

--- Please select a device to upload the kernel to: 

Selection:" 

Regards
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Please help me, i have some problems compling the nios2 toolchain 

I want to install uClinux (2.6.9) on Cyclone 3 EP3C25F324C8, following the tutorial "http://scorpius.homelinux.org/~marc/nios2.html". 

When i arrive at the command "make ARCH=nios2nommu CROSS_COMPILE=nios2-linux-uclibc- hwselect SYSPTF=/home/nastri/nios/sopc.ptf" for the kernel configuration, there would be a list of hardware resources of my Nios system, but the list is empty (under "Please select a device to upload the kernel to:"). In the following it can be observed the problem in the Linux (Debian) shell. 

"nastri@debian:~$ su 

Password:  

root@debian:/home/nastri/linux-2.6.9# make ARCH=nios2nommu CROSS_COMPILE=nios2-linux-uclibc- hwselect SYSPTF=/home/nastri/nios/sopc.ptf 

RUNNING hwselect 

Selection:" 

Regards
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Please help me, i have some problems compling the nios2 toolchain 

Pratically: 

nastri@debian:~$ su 

Password: 

RUNNING hwselect 

Selection: (but there aren't options to choose)" 

Regards
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Posting the same question multiple times won't get you more answers. Did you read the documents indicated by mschnell?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i met it too 

i just added a cfi and solved it 

i think 20070130 do not support spcs as good as cfi 

minimum sopc modules for nios-ucLinux 

nios2 f 

sdram (>8MBs) 

JTAG UART 

EPCS controller 

timer (full featured) 

CFI (even you don't have any flash memory in your board,and my DE0 don't,too,you just use it at your sopc )
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Sen_Han... maybe a bit late for a question to your respond - but worth a try :) 

Yesterday I run into the same problem with my DE0-Nano: on a new uClinux download <make hwselect> asks for a CFI memory to upload the kernel to. In an older download version of uClinux this selection was not necessary (only CPU and execution device was asked for). 

So I will follow your advise and add a CFI to the SOPC-builder (Quartus II v10.1), I just wonder about the paramter settings and connections - any special set-up of this dummy/CFI ? 

Many thanks..