Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

Help with Basic Concept Please

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello folks, Having lots of trouble understanding a simple concept. I would like to know how the data register works for this UART. From the Data sheet, this is what info i have: 

device 

RS-232 UART 

configuration 

Two 32-bit mapped registers 

input/output 

Either 

address base 

0x10001010 

address map 

address 

r/w 

description 

base 

R/W 

Data Register 

23:16 - Number of characters available to read (after this read - see Notes) 

15 - read data valid 

9 - parity error 

7:0 - the data itself 

base+4 

R/W 

Control Register 

23:16 - Spaces available for writing 

9 - Write interrupt is pending 

8 - Read interrupt is pending 

1 - Enable write interrupts 

0 - Enable read interrupts 

Now a simple question, Let's say i want to read the UART of the Board, i wrote a short code in C for (Altera Monitor Program) but i get a garbage as input. Using a Terminal on PC to send some characters, and would like to display them on the HEX Disp. Here is what i tried to do: 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

mask = ((*RS232_UART_DATA)&0xFF00FF); // Reading the UART and masking some bits  

HEX=mask; // Storing data to be written to hex 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

The issue is before i even get to send a character from the PC side, i start seeing garbage on HEX. And when i do attempt to send a character, the HEX shows more garbage. At least i can be sure the data is being transmitted, but i have no knowledge on how to mask the DATA Register appropriately. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!! 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

zikmir, you posted several uart related questions in the past few days.  

Here is a very useful thread on how to use UART to communicate with external devices such as PC: http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17224 

I've used this code successfully to talk to the PC.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

zikmir, you posted several uart related questions in the past few days.  

Here is a very useful thread on how to use UART to communicate with external devices such as PC: http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17224 

I've used this code successfully to talk to the PC. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks for your reply, my issue is not on coding, and i am not familiar with the methods you have used. My entire question is trying to understand how the hardware it self has to be configured, as of the DATA Register and Control Register. I am already able to print any characters to the Terminal(Sending from UART to PC) but i really need some help on the opposite direction. If you may help me with this specific issue i would be glad than using some one else code.  

Kindly if you or any one can guide me on how to read the UART. Here is my code: 

# include <stdio.h># define RS232_UART_DATA ((volatile int*) 0x10001010)# define RS232_UART_CONTROL ((volatile int*) (0x10001010+4)) 

int main() 

unsigned char *pOutput; 

unsigned char mask; 

while(1) //strings in C are zero terminated 

{  

mask = ((*RS232_UART_DATA)&0xFFFF0000); // mask incoming UART 

if (mask!=0){  

pOutput=((*RS232_UART_DATA)&0x0000ff);  

}  

if((*RS232_UART_CONTROL)&0xff0000 ){ 

*RS232_UART_DATA = (*pOutput); } //output back to PC Terminal 

}