Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12419 Discussions

Help with git and working with different versions of kernel

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Till now I am building linux with tarball. Now I want to go one step ahead and try different versions of kernels, like 3.0 stable and 3.1-rc9. 

I obtained git updates with "git fetch origin" in all folders (linux2.6, uClinx-dist..) 

I go to linux2.6 and used "git checkout v3.0-nios2" 

The boards folder disappears from arch/nios2 directory. Also I have many different options appears when i run menu gconfig (xconfig not working). 

How can I obtain kernel version with the boards folder as it is? (I am new to git) 

where can i find details about buildroot changes?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The latest NIOS II Linux uses Device Tree to avoid needing custom headers for each board/fpga configuration, so sometime after 3.0 the boards directory was removed. I think you're using git correctly, it's just that directory is actually not there anymore.