Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12599 Discussions

Hi, I m using the multiprocessor tutorial, to have a MPSOC application, but when i

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I m using the multiprocessor tutorial, to have a MPSOC application, but when i finish all steps and running the nios application  

I have this message in the terminal, 

using cable "usb-blaster [usb-0]", device 1, instance 0x00 

processor is already paused 

reading system id at address 0x0960a190: verified 

initializing cpu cache (if present) 

ok 

downloading 07000000 ( 0%) 

downloaded 61kb in 1.0s (61.0kb/s) 

verifying 07000000 ( 0%) 

verified ok  

leaving target processor paused 

I have done this work many times but with the some error,  

please can any one help me what can be the problem and thinks wery much.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you running it from the command line or from eclipse? From the command line you should add a -g option to nios2-download to start the processor after downloading the application. If you are running from Eclipse you could need to tick a box asking to start the processor (I don't use Eclipse so I don't really know).

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I m running my application from eclipse, but I don't know witch box to tick, can you explain more please and thinks, or if you are good at using command line can you give me how to do it and think you very much.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

from the command line, use (once the FPGA is configured with the correct .sof image)nios2-download -g -i 0 your_elf_file.elfThe -g flag tells to start the CPU after the download. The -i 0 flag means to download the elf file to the first CPU in the FPGA. Similarly, you can send the elf file to the second CPU withnios2-download -g -i 1 your_other_elf_file.elfetc. 

If you also want to open a terminal and connect to the JTAG uart, you can use (in a second window, before you start the download)nios2-terminal -i 0and similarly if you have several JTAG UARTs, each connected to a different CPU, use -i 1, -i 2... to connect to the others.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have done all your recommended steps but after downloading the first .elf in the first cpu I have the some message than eclipse, also it's the some for the second cpu :( 

[NiosII EDS]$ nios2-download -g -i 0 multi_hello_1.elf 

Using cable "USB-Blaster [USB-0]", device 1, instance 0x00 

Pausing target processor: OK 

Reading System ID at address 0x05609590: verified 

Initializing CPU cache (if present) 

OK 

Downloaded 70KB in 1.2s (58.3KB/s) 

Verifying 05604020 (99%) 

Verify failed between address 0x5604020 and 0x56041C7 

Leaving target processor paused 

and when i had downloding the second .elf in the scomd cpu  

what can I do it's really a big problem for the advancement of my project and thank you .
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The "verify failed" error shows there is a problem between the CPU and the memory. What memory are you using? Is your Quartus project properly constrained (are all the clocks defined and recognized by Timequest) and does it meet all timing requirements?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm working with the sdram, I think that s ok with the clock because I'm using a standard design with worked with single processor ( I have added only an other cpu and timer mutex and shire memory) if you have an idea how to redefine clocks I will be thankful :)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

when I went to debug my work, it stopped at: 

Nios II Elf Debugger (22/02/13 12:30) (Suspended) <Cannot find bounds of current function>  

Thread [0] (Suspended)  

1 <symbol is not available> 0x07000094  

I don t know really what is the problem please help me!!!!!!!!!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are both your CPUs running their application from the SDRAM? If yes you must be very careful that they use different addresses inside the memory. If both have their application at the same address the system will likely crash.

0 Kudos