Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

Hi i want to use the "Listing 14. An example of code that uses the video-out port" of the document: "DE10-Nano Computer System with Nios® II " It describes how to print out a rectangel with characters onto a HDMI display.

JBlec2
Beginner

Unfortunately i dont know which IPs i need to include in Qsys. I now additionaly try the Monitor Pro Program of Intel but i think like the HDMI TX Demo showed me something is wrong with my little HDMI Display. But ok this is another topic. important would be .. how to find out the correct IPs for Quartus and how connect them , so that the nios can use the given given example .

There is a table of used IPs :

Is this the soluton ? Why dont they write how to connect them ?

I/O Peripheral Qsys Core

On-chip memory character buffer Character Buffer for Video Display

SD Card SD Card Interface

Red LED parallel port Parallel Port

Expansion parallel ports Parallel Port

Slider switch parallel port Parallel Port

Pushbutton parallel port Parallel Port

JTAG port JTAG UART

Interval timer Interval timer

System ID System ID Peripheral

Audio port Audio

Video port Pixel Buffer DMA Controller

Thank you :D

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Deshi_Intel

HI,

I presume you already installed "Intel FPGA Monitor Program" where all the example design code is available.

For instance, you can use Quartus software to open up DE10-Nano example design where every design blocks are connected nicely for you

• \University_Program\Computer_Systems\DE10-Nano\DE10-Nano_Computer\verilog

While the NIOS II C code example design is available in

• \University_Program\Computer_Systems\sample_programs\nios2\c

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos
JBlec2
Beginner

wow it works.

I went down to your given paths and also discovered the directories a little bit by myself. First I tried the FPGA Monitor Program - but it didnt work xD So I opened the .qpf - clicked on the programmer and uploaded the .sof . Then I checked if my FPGA has connection. It had. I saw that the HAL enviromnent is already there . I only had to the main program: video.c and the address maps located in the lib folder University_Program\Computer_Systems\DE10-Nano\DE10-Nano_Computer\software.

I compiled it and my HDMI Display showed Intel FPGA Computer System within a blue rectangle.

Thank you for your time !

Sometimes the solution is close to us and simple :D

( i know that this is a prepared environment but anyway it is an important step for me :D)

Now i finally can begin to manipulate the output :D

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

Great ! I am glad thing works out for you

0 Kudos
JBlec2
Beginner

Damn, it turned out that i just had some luck: First time it worked diretly second time i needed to reinstall. Today it even didnt work after reinstall: It just shows some weird random pixels in the first 6 rows . I checked it last time on some "good" displayS and now i am working with a adapter hdmi to vga. So this shouldnt be the reason.

I now recompile the project DE10 nano computer. Maybe it has some trouble with the pin allocation ? But I really use de10-nano. So it should be the correct project.

If it doesnt work I will post more details :D

I could also check the Platform Designers Adresses and the adresses listetd in the .h file for the Nios.

Wow it takes now half an hour to compile everything.. Although I made some setting changes for faster compilation etc...

😀

0 Kudos
JBlec2
Beginner

Now I created a new project with the Intel FPGA Monitor Program. I configured with the example video.

Then ..like always... nothing happens after upload.. then I used eclipse put in again my files (video.c and libs) and it worked. Then I made some change in the String. then a new comination appeared: on top of the screen random pixel appeared and the string also appeared. but I couldn change the string now... needed to download the sof with fpga monitor program again and again needed to put in video.c... now it worked again. but only for 1 time. after changing the string again it hung up or something... now i am trying the third time

0 Kudos
JBlec2
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
JBlec2
Beginner

maybe it is because of my run configurations.... i changed the target processor and byte stream devices .. now it works .. i will check it again in a few days :D

0 Kudos
JBlec2
Beginner

hmm with the Intel fpga Monitor Programm it always works fine... but in Quartus in combination with eclipse for nios.. It sometime doesnt work , maybe because of the run configurations.... I show you what i mean in the attachment. i understand this better.. but maybe you have a idea :D

thanks . have a good day ! :D

0 Kudos
JBlec2
Beginner

Now it doesnt work anymore. It never shows the demo on my hdmi screen :(

Just a random bit order in top of the screen.

Hmm. the byte stream device is just for the console output ?

The processor is one of the two NIOS which come with this DEMO

I dont know whats up

Has someone an idea ?

I always choose the hello world simple template project... i also tried the hello word template

0 Kudos
JBlec2
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
JBlec2
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
JBlec2
Beginner

omg.. now I copied also the elf file into the project ... and a lot of different files form my Intel FPGA Monitor Program 18.1 folder... it suddenly worked.. iam a confused xD

please give me a clue😅

0 Kudos
JBlec2
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
JBlec2
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
JBlec2
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
JBlec2
Beginner

ok it might be that video.c inst well. because now i just added my elf file ( and also a .o -file and hex file) and my video.c was still the standard. while the elf file contained my testimage. this means I dont compile my video.c well ! It must have something to do with the HAL? But it is strange that it worked before withouth changing something ! So there it comoiled well... maybe my sopcinfo file has some problems ?

0 Kudos
JBlec2
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
JBlec2
Beginner

hmm...now I installedv again.. (deinstalled it and not installed it while just reinstalling the de10-nano sample projects)

Now I it looks again like , it compiles it right xD

I opened the quartus programmer -downlaoded sof to the fpga and then continued my blank project from yesturday... it showes me the string. I also can change it

Maybe the Intel FPGA University Programm directories need to be installed ,so the HAL works correctly ? I will check it out !

update:

But it doesnt draw boxes... I thought first it really doesnt work anymore again for my selfmade video.c

(void video_box(int x1, int y1, int x2, int y2, short pixel_color))

Then I tried the standard video.c and saw, that there comes the string but no blue box !

Now I copied some libs into the project folder and also changed the processor and it doesnt work anymore :(

---

no chance...

now I switched tothe Intel FPGA Monitor Program and just clicked "compile & Load" and it works...

where is the BUG !

😬

0 Kudos
JBlec2
Beginner

Here the overiview of the BSP originally a html , in the attachment

And this is what I found. Maybe it is old but it describes slightly what I should do !

https://home.isr.uc.pt/~jfilipe/files/Final_Project_Simplified_Tutorial.pdf

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

HI,

It's been sometime.

Hopefully you have found the right way to setup your Quartus project and NIOS II EDS suite to get the project working.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos