Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Host File System not working

AAlas3
New Contributor I

Hey,

I built a simple Qsys system with Nios inside it and I would like to write and read from file in host machine, so I wrote the following:

#include "stdio.h"

#include "alt_sys_init.c"

int main()

{

FILE* ptr = fopen("Test.txt","w");

fprintf(ptr,"Helloooooo");

fclose(ptr);

return 0;

}

when I run this in debug mode, ptr is NULL, I checked the Host altera_hostfs but still not working

Help Please

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

Please first, make sure you enable the altera_hostfs package by opening the BSP editor>>Software Packages tab>> Check the box in front of the altera_hostfs package.

Next is a sample code to read and write to a file at the host:

#include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <string.h>   #define BUF_SIZE (50)   int main(void) {   FILE= fp_ascii = NULL; FILE = fp_bin = NULL; char buffer[BUF_SIZE]; int read_size=1;   /* Reading ASCII File from the host*/ fp_ascii = fopen("file path", "r"); if (fp_ascii == NULL) { printf("Cannot open the file\n"); exit(1); } fgets(buffer, sizeof(buffer), fp_ascii); printf("%s", buffer); fclose(fp_ascii);     /* WriteASCII File from the host*/ fp_ascii = fopen("file path", "w"); if (fp_ascii == NULL) { printf("Cannot open the file\n"); exit(1); } strcpy(buffer, "Hellow from NIOS II"); fputs(buffer, fp_ascii); fclose(fp_ascii);   return 0;       }

Regards,

0 Kudos
AAlas3
New Contributor I

It is enabled, anyway I solved the problem: In code when you fopen a file you should write "/mnt/host" with the file path and the pointer will locate the project directory

By the way my name is Ahmad and it is pleasure sir to meet you

0 Kudos
Yogesh
Novice
So suppose there is a read.txt file in project directory along side main.c code with path as below :

E:/folder1/project/read.txt

What should path of read.txt shd be in main.c file?
mnt/host/read.txt ???
0 Kudos