Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12599 Discussions

How can I use cs8900a in NIOSII?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I fount that there is no HAL and UCOSII folder in the path of \altera\kits\nios2\components\altera_avalon_cs8900.Then how can i use cs8900a in NIOSII? 

If I have to write the HAL drive ,is there existing example that i can copy or imitate?  

thanks to all! 

http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by cameral@Feb 7 2006, 09:07 PM 

i fount that there is no hal and ucosii folder in the path of \altera\kits\nios2\components\altera_avalon_cs8900.then how can i use cs8900a  in niosii? 

if i have to write the hal drive ,is there existing example that i can copy or imitate?  

thanks to all! 

http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#emo_dir#>/blink.gif  

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=12620) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

As far as I know there&#39;s no Nios II implementation of the CS8900 driver. To make it work you would: 

1) Copy the LAN91C111 component folder and rename as necessary to make the SOPC builder see it as a new CS8900 component. 

2) Modify the LAN91C111 driver to work with the CS8900. 

3) Figure out which lines from your new CS8900 component go to which pins on the daughtercard. 

Not a simple task... 

Edit: by the way, cross-posting a topic to different forums is frowned upon.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by bkucera+feb 9 2006, 07:08 am--><div class='quotetop'>quote (bkucera @ feb 9 2006, 07:08 am)</div> 

--- quote start ---  

<!--quotebegin-cameral@Feb 7 2006, 09:07 PM 

i fount that there is no hal and ucosii folder in the path of \altera\kits\nios2\components\altera_avalon_cs8900.then how can i use cs8900a  in niosii? 

if i have to write the hal drive ,is there existing example that i can copy or imitate?  

thanks to all! 

http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#emo_dir#>/blink.gif  

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=12620) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

As far as I know there&#39;s no Nios II implementation of the CS8900 driver. To make it work you would: 

1) Copy the LAN91C111 component folder and rename as necessary to make the SOPC builder see it as a new CS8900 component. 

2) Modify the LAN91C111 driver to work with the CS8900. 

3) Figure out which lines from your new CS8900 component go to which pins on the daughtercard. 

Not a simple task... 

Edit: by the way, cross-posting a topic to different forums is frowned upon. 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=12647)</div> 

[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks for the answer of bkucera.It seems that I have to write HAL myself. But there are many differences between cs8900 and lan91c11,so it is hard to say whether i can work it out.  

Is there verilog or vhdl code of cs8900 so i can build a new component in SOPCbuilder?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by cameral@Feb 10 2006, 02:06 AM 

thanks for the answer of bkucera.it seems that i have to write hal myself. but there are many differences between cs8900 and lan91c11,so it is hard to say whether i can work it out.  

is there verilog or vhdl code of cs8900 so i can build a new component in sopcbuilder? 

--- Quote End ---  

You don&#39;t need hdl to create a cs8900 component. Copy the LAN91C111 folder to a new directory and look at the files inside with a text editor, specifically the PTF file. Rename everything that says LAN91C111 to CS8900, save, and reopen SOPC builder. You should have a CS8900 component now.  

From there you&#39;ll need to modify the PTF file to have the right inputs/outputs, and you&#39;ll need to modify the driver code to work with the CS8900.
0 Kudos