Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12435 Discussions

How can Linux read data using the f2sdram bus?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm using the Cyclone V and the hps runs with Linux. 

I want to transfer big data blocks from fpga to the hps and send them via Gbit-Ethernet. 

The first thought was to transfer the data over the f2h-bridge and using the f2h device that is detected by Linux. 

But the on second thought transferring data over the f2sdram-bus could be much faster? 

So the fpga writes the data block on a defined base-address in the sdram. 

But with Linux I can't specify the address on which i want to place my data-array or from which i want to read the data in the sdram. 

So can I define a new device in my device tree so Linux detects that device and knows from which address to read? 

And if so do i have to write a device driver or is there an existing Driver in the Linux Kernel for the f2sdram-bus? 

Best regards, 

Robert
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

I have almost the same question than you. Do you (or anyone) know a little bit more about this question?  

Nice Regards!!  

Pilar