Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12418 Discussions

How do I get to first base building legacy code for NIOSII processor? Can I do build on unrelated linux PC?

HForr
Beginner

I have lots of Xilinx experience but nearly zero Altera experience. Oops, maybe I should say Intel...

I have someone else's source code for a legacy project designed to run on an embedded linux processor on an Altera FPGA. It seems to be a "NIOSII Processor". I think I've found the correct sub-forum.

I would like to do a test build of the project in order to make sure I have a fully buildable copy of the source code. Must I do that test build on the actual embedded linux processor on the FPGA, or might I do that build on my own unrelated linux PC, like a cross-compile?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

As you say it is legacy design. I advise you to follow the normal procedure of downloading a cross compiler ex: from Linaro, the Linux you want to compile and compile all the required files (U-boot, RFS, Linux, and DTS). The Quartus will help you to get the system .sof file to configure the FPGA.

Best regards,