Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

How to Change NIOS II IDE Console Baud Rate?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello all, 

I am new to the forum and to NIOS Processors.  

Does anyone know how to change the NIOS II IDE Console Baud Rate? Its default setting to download data is 115,000 Baud, and I would like to change it to 4800 baud so that it is compatible with the UART I have set up already for a serial peripheral. I cannot find a setting in the IDE menus nor in the IDE help files. http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif  

Thank You for any help or suggestions.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by mantrasu+mar 8 2006, 10:34 am--><div class='quotetop'>quote (mantrasu @ mar 8 2006, 10:34 am)</div> 

--- quote start ---  

i am new to the forum and to nios processors.[/b] 

--- quote end ---  

welcome :-) 

<!--quotebegin-mantrasu@Mar 8 2006, 10:34 AM 

does anyone know how to change the nios ii ide console baud rate? its default setting to download data is 115,000 baud, and i would like to change it  to 4800 baud so that it is compatible with the uart i have set up already for a serial peripheral. i cannot find a setting in the ide menus nor in the ide help files.  http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#emo_dir#>/sad.gif  

--- Quote End ---  

No promises, but this may be worth a try.... 

1) Make a backup of your Altera-supplied template folder 

"..\altera\kits\nios2_51\examples\verilog\<kit>..." 

2) Open your project in SOPC builder 

3) Find your serial port&#39;s UART and rdo right-click->edit 

4) At the Baudrate dropdown, select 4800 baud. You may also wish to check the "make baudrate selectable&#39; checkbox, but its a good idea to try only one change at a time 

5) Hit Finish 

6) Hit Generate (& make a cup of tea) 

At this point it may be a good idea to recompile your project in Quartus II (but I don&#39;t know). 

7) load up your new PTF file into the board and try again 

Good luck
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

mantrasu, 

When you select your SOPC UART in Run... -> Nios II Terminal communication device  

the IDE should read your UART baud rate and adapt the console accordingly. 

Never tried, so please post your results!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by luca@Mar 8 2006, 10:03 AM 

mantrasu, 

when you select your sopc uart in run... -> nios ii terminal communication device  

the ide should read your uart baud rate and adapt the console accordingly. 

never tried, so please post your results! 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=13226) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

Hello Luca, 

Thank you for the response. I have not had any luck with just the settings in the Run dialog box. I have set up the UART to be the STDin/out/err/etc., and in SOPC Builder it is a fixed baud rate of 4800, and the IDE console says it is trying to connect at 115,200 baud whenever I try to run or debug the code. I will try it with a different project to see if I can get different results. Maybe it is some other setting in the IDE I haven&#39;t found. I have talked to someone else in person though, and said they were having problems connecting to the IDE at different baud rates too. http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.gif  

thanks again!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by hootsmon+mar 7 2006, 07:58 pm--><div class='quotetop'>quote (hootsmon @ mar 7 2006, 07:58 pm)</div> 

--- quote start ---  

welcome :-) 

<!--quotebegin-mantrasu@Mar 8 2006, 10:34 AM 

does anyone know how to change the nios ii ide console baud rate? its default setting to download data is 115,000 baud, and i would like to change it  to 4800 baud so that it is compatible with the uart i have set up already for a serial peripheral. i cannot find a setting in the ide menus nor in the ide help files.  http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#emo_dir#>/sad.gif  

--- Quote End ---  

No promises, but this may be worth a try.... 

1) Make a backup of your Altera-supplied template folder 

"..\altera\kits\nios2_51\examples\verilog\<kit>..." 

2) Open your project in SOPC builder 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=13201)</div> 

[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

Hootsmon,  

Thank you for the reply. My wording of the question must not have been very clear. The problem I was having was what Luca responded too. I have already generated the UART in SOPC builder, now I just want to communicate with it at 4800 baud with the NIOS II IDE. The IDE seems to have a default of 115,200 baud. I was hoping there was a setting I could change inside the IDE to make it work. Luca said that it should detect the baud rate for me and adjust accordingly, which would make sense, (in order to have a good, smart IDE). 

thank you again for responding.
0 Kudos