Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12484 Discussions

How to calculate the time for running the code in Nios II and Nios V?

Chris039
Novice

Hi,

How do I calculate the time used for executing a command in Nios II and Nios V.

I was using the example in the below link but the results from Nios II and Nios V are different.

https://cplusplus.com/reference/ctime/clock/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

clock_t t;

t = clock();
printf ("Calculating...\n");

... (Anything, or you may put usleep (1000000)

t = clock() - t;

printf ("It took me %ld clicks (%f seconds).\n",t,((float)t)/1000000);
printf ("It took me %u clicks (%x seconds).\n",t,((float)t)/1000000);

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nios II

Chris039_0-1668480322331.png

Nios V

Chris039_1-1668480353700.png

Could you share the way to calculate the time taken for running a piece of code in Nios V?

Thanks

0 Kudos
17 Replies
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I'm creating C++ Hello World executable project and replace the code with the one you stated. I'm getting the results for Nios II Eclipse IDE and Nios V RiscFree IDE as below:

Nios II Eclipse IDE (image):

2.PNG

Nios V RiscFree IDE (image):

1.PNG

Both are almost the same. RiscFree (42) seems like faster a bit than Eclipse (48). Check the attached file.

Best regards,

Sheng

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel Support are helpful, please feel free to give best answer or rate 4/5 survey.

ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi @Chris039 ,

Do you still need further help on this thread?

Let me know if you have further concern or consideration.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Sheng

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel Support are helpful, please feel free to give best answer or rate 4/5 survey.

Chris039
Novice

Yes. Let me check the file and I will update again .

Chris039
Novice

I am not comparing the software tool. I was instantiating the Nios II processor and Nios V processor in Qsys, comparing both the time taken to execute the command.

ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi,

May be can refer to this link https://levelup.gitconnected.com/8-ways-to-measure-execution-time-in-c-c-48634458d0f9 on various ways of measuring cpu execution time. Or try to reprogram the software.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Sheng

Chris039
Novice

Hi,

This is not related to reprogramming. Can you try to measure using the Nios V processor? You may generate the example design in https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/726952/22-1-21-2-0/processor-example-desig...

ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi @Chris039 ,

I have done testing Nios V Hello World Example Design. I'm measuring the time taken for Nios V to run C++ code with looper and usleep(1000000) (code image below) and getting the results (image below):

Capture1.PNGCapture.PNG

Time taken: 16771 clicks (0.016771s)

Then I'm measuring the time taken for Nios V to run with only usleep(1000000) without looper (code image below) and getting the results (image below):

Capture3.PNGCapture2.PNG

Time taken: 994 clicks (0.000994s). Close to your results.

Installed RAM: 16.0 GB

I think the execution time measuring code and your result are both valid.

Thanks,

Best regards,

Sheng

Chris039
Novice

Let me try to run.

ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi @Chris039 ,

Do you have any further update or concern?

Let me know if there's any.

Thanks,

Best regards,

Sheng

Chris039
Novice

Hi Sheng,

I tried running the second code that you have shared.

clock_t t;

t = clock();
printf ("Calculating...\n");

usleep(1000000);
printf ("Bye world...\n");
t = clock() - t;

printf ("It took me %ld clicks (%f seconds).\n",t,((float)t)/1000000);
printf ("It took me %u clicks (%x seconds).\n",t,((float)t)/1000000);

Why is my value in the bracket has negative sign and different from yours?

Chris039_0-1669606224603.png

Chris039
Novice

If I would like to delay one second in the code? what is the value I should put in usleep ()?

ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Have you include the related library?

usleep() is in microseconds so you have to put 1000000 for 1 second.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Sheng

Chris039
Novice

Do you have the compilation result with the code above using Nios II processor?

Chris039
Novice

@ShengN_Intel  Any updates from your side?

ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi @Chris039 ,

Still in the process of testing. Let me get back to you once getting the testing result.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Sheng

ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi @Chris039 ,

I tested the MAX 10 Nios II Hello World example in Intel FPGA Design Store. I found out for Nios II Interval Timer needs to be added in order to get accurate and valid execution time calculation. Also in BSP Editor, set the sys_clk_timer check image below:

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

The execution time of Nios II for running code without looper is 1427 clicks which is close to Nios V execution time of 997 clicks.

Folder attached below.

Thanks,

Best regards,

Sheng

ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi @Chris039 ,

Do you have any further concern?

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Sheng