Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12453 Discussions

How to change from unicode to ansi char for altera_16550_uart_read ?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am building a Nios design using an 16550 Uart. (C++) 

The primitives for altera_16550_uart_read are unicode versions. 

altera_16550_uart_read(altera_16550_uart_state* sp, wchar_t* ptr, int len, int flags); 

However i would like to use the ansi version: 

altera_16550_uart_read(altera_16550_uart_state* sp, char* ptr, int len, int flags); 

I searched header files, compiler settings etc. 

=> If i change all wchar_t types to char in the driver source files, the problem is solved for the current application. 

However there must be a more elegant way: 

=> In the properties of my application, / C/C++ / Preprocessor Include Paths / GNU C++ there is an entry : _wchar_type__=int. i cannot change this entry. Is it possible to change this entry to char, and will this do the trick ? If so, how can I change this setting? At this time the entry seems to be read only. 

=> I looked with the BSP editor at various settings, I could have overlooked someting, but as far as I can see, there are not UNICODE / ANSI strings settings to be found. Is there a way to make the proper settings via the BSP editor? 

=> I also looked in stddef.h, but since in C++ wchar_t is a type and not I defined type, i think that the solution for the issue is not there. But i am not sure. 

Thanks for any help, 

Johi.
0 Kudos
0 Replies