Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12419 Discussions

How to check clk and reset signal when ELF downloading failed?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I learnt from the forum that an ELF downloading failure is likely to be caused by an incorrectly set clk signal or reset signal. The problem is how I can check the clk or reset signal without running the nios program? 

My design is a qsys project consisting of nios, some peripherals including external ddr-ram controller and a custom module connected through avalon-mm bus. The system works under a single clock domain generated by the pll that comes with the ddr-ram controller. Reset signal is connected to LOW directly. 

Timing requirement was met with some unconstrained paths (input/output ports and paths) which should be fine because previously a similar system ran successfully with these paths unconstrained. Any suggestion will be appreciate.  

Thanks guys.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm not sure, but may be the problem is the source of your clk. 

I think you should generate a new clk from another pll, for your Nios. 

Don't use the one generated by the pll of the ddr controller. 

regards,