Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

How to comiple a single C file in Nios

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When I right click a C file and choose "Build selected file(s)", an error message turned up which says "..Operation not enabled". 

https://sites.google.com/site/nswbanana/store_1/build_file.PNG?attredirects=0  

And when I click "Clean selected file(s)", an error message turned up again 

https://sites.google.com/site/nswbanana/store_1/clean_file.JPG?attredirects=0  

I am using Nios10.1 SP1
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Try going through one of the included examples and/or tutorials. You have to create a Nios II project, compile it, and then "Run" or "Debug" the result on a target board. 

In general, you can't do what you're asking to do unless you're already _running_ in the runtime environment that you'd like to compile for... i.e.: Compiling a program for Windows while running in Windows...same for Linux. 

Regards, 

slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Try going through one of the included examples and/or tutorials. You have to create a Nios II project, compile it, and then "Run" or "Debug" the result on a target board. 

In general, you can't do what you're asking to do unless you're already _running_ in the runtime environment that you'd like to compile for... i.e.: Compiling a program for Windows while running in Windows...same for Linux. 

Regards, 

slacker 

--- Quote End ---  

thanks for your answer. 

I think I haven't explained my question clearly. 

I do have a working project. I just want to compile a single C file in the project.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have seen a lot of errors in the Nios tools, this one is new for me :) 

What do the details say when you try to clean the project? 

Have you tried building the Hello World example??
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Certainly my experience of the IDE is that it did rather like running the compiler! Which wouldn't quite be so bad if the tcl (or whatever) actually ran an a sane speed! 

However I switched my build environment to vi+make so don't have that problem any more! Made easier by the fact that I don't need any of the Altera tools to get my code onto the fpga.
0 Kudos