Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

How to create bootable VxWorks SD-Card?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey! 

I'm very new in this topic and i read a lot to come into it. But i still have some problems. 

I have a Arrow SoCkit Cyclone V Board and the goal is, to get a working VxWorks System on it. 

I already created a bootloader, that works and i can execute the standard u-boot commands. Now i tried to get the Bootrom of VxWorks started, as I read in a few documentaries and forum posts. But it didn't work yet. I tried to copy the bootrom to a certain adress or to a seperate FAT partition (with a modified bootloader). But it didn't start. 

Did I forget something or understand something wrong? 

I hope you can help me. 

Regards 

Kille
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Moving to the new "Other Operating Systems" forum. This is where all non-Linux OS related questions will go moving forward.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Please visit this page and get the zip file under "VxWorks Instructions for SoC EDS 13.1": 

https://www.altera.com/download/soc-eds/rtos-tools.jsp 

That document will walk you through how to boot VxWorks via SD card or QSPI using a modified preloader. The instructions are written for the Altera dev board but they may work for the Arrow board as well, I have not tried that. 

The instructions contain pre-built preloaders that are known to work with the Altera dev board and SD card images that should work as well. 

Instructions for 14.0 are almost ready to be published -- if you are using 14.0 today let me know and I may be able to get you a preview of those instructions.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I haven't used VxWorks bootrom but I have used u-boot to boot vxWorks directly. The default Altera soc u-boot does not include elf file support so you have to enable this and recompile u-boot. Once you have done that you can then boot the vxWorks compiled elf image using the bootvx command.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Also, it's important to know that the preloader requires the next stage bootloader to have a small header on it. The VxWorks bootrom is not built with this header, so you have to use mkimage to add the header to the bootrom. 

The instructions I mentioned show you how to add the header to a VxWorks bootrom binary.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

@Bevo 

I knew this Document, but the Images/ Files unforthantly don't work for the Arrow Board. Nevertheless I followed the Instructions. I builded my own Preloader with BSP-Editor and made my own SD-Card with FAT-Partition. But the Problem is like above. 

I tried to use u-boot commands to start the bootrom.bin manually. I've loaded it so several adresses in cache and tried to execute them with bootm to this adress. The error is: "Wrong Image Type for bootm command - ERROR: can't get kernel image!"  

Thats why I tried to find a way to add the bootvx command as @ngoodger told. But I can't find out how to do that. 

@ngoodger How you added the command. I added "#define CONFIG_CMD_ELF" to "config_cmd_default.h" and recompiled my whole preloader, but the command didn't appear. Can you give me some further advices?
0 Kudos