Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12436 Discussions

How to detect Ethernet cable connection before start a Network Interface?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am using Altera Cyclone-V and uC/OS-II OS & TCP/IP package building a Network Interface in this way: 

1. Call Net_Init(); 

2. Call NetIF_Add(); 

3. Call NetIF_Start(); 

4. Call NetIPv4_CfgAddrAdd(); 

Everything works fine except if I by accident forgot to plug in the Ethernet cable. If the cable is missing, Step C NetIF_Start() will return “NET_PHY_ERR_TIMEOUT_AUTO_NET” error. This error is not recoverable even with the cable plugging back to the device. I will have to reboot the device. 

Is there any way I can check the cable connection before Step C? I tried functions like NetIF_LinkStateGet(), NetIF_IO_Ctrl(), but they only report the Link status after the interface is established. BTW, the HW is done and I can’t physically check the Ethernet port status. 

Another option is when function NetIF_Start() returns an error due to the missing of the cable, what is a correct procedure to re-initialize the Network interface and wait for the cable connection. 

Thanks, 

Chad 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I also met this issues if I plug out the cable. Immediately I plug in cable and can't PING the board.