Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

How to enable the nios 2 IDE?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, I've used the Nios 2 IDE before but now I've installed a new Quartus II Web Edition and the Nios 2 IDE is not available, instead when I start the "Nios 2 build tools for eclipse" from Quartus II, what starts is eclipse in C/C++ perspective and it's not possible to make a new Nios 2 project. What am I doing wrong?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Nios IDE is obsolete and it was used up to Quartus version 9 or 10. 

Newer Quartus versions only support the Nios SBT for Eclipse. Anyway you should have the same functionalities, although with a different graphical organization.  

IIRC when I switched from Quartus 9 with IDE to Quartus 11 with Eclipse, it was not so a great problem. 

Probably you only have to change the windows perspective or browse the menus for the command you need.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for the answer. I start the program C:\altera\12.1sp1\nios2eds\bin\eclipse-nios2.exe and it is just giving me the C/C++ perspective which I tried to change to the Nios 2 perspective but it just won't. I'm all stuck at what to do next. When I now start the program I get "Workspace in use or cannor be created, choose a different one" whereupon as I've changed workspace to C:\Users\dev\nios2-ide-workspace and loading the GUI for the Nios SBT ("Nios IDE") then it is only giving me the C/C++ perspective again. It is wrong.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I posted a question on stackoverflow about this since I really want to solve the problem: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16297878/how-to-run-nios-2-sbt 

Thank you /Niklas
0 Kudos