Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

How to get an oooold Nios II IDE?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I've got a problem:  

Our company is doing alot with Altera stuff. Currently we develop a Cyclone V SoC Design for some kind of measurement system. We use Cyclone III very succesfully and we have some small Cyclone I Designs running. I tend to use the latest Quartus II Versions and try to upgrade my projects continiously in order to use the latest tools. Currently I'm into Quartus II 13.1 on Linux (for the SoC) or I use Quartus II 11.1 and QSys for my Cyclone III design. 

Now, here is what happened, yesterday: Sombody told me that some crazy guys ordered one of our devices developed in ancient 2004. So we took out our manufacturing documentation, build everything up and began to put the firmware on. (At that time, I was still very confident that everything will work out fine . . .).  

We came to the point, where we should use the tool "nios2-flash-programmer". Fortunately this tool is just there in the Nios 2 Command Shell. So I started our script that conatined the address for flashing, a "--sof" parameter and the link to the .flash file to use. But UNFORTUNATELY, nios2-flash-programmer told me that it was updated and does not understand that script anymore.  

I have to admit that this project Project I'm going to flash is not one of mine (I joined the company much later) and the guy who did this is long gone. So I really would like to go on and play with my current project and the recent tools and just would like to get rid of this issue. 

For that I suppose I need a Nios 2 IDE that can work along a Quartus II 4.1 installation (since this is mentioned in our manufacturing decumentation). But on the Altera download page for older Versions of Quartus II and the Nios II EDS, there is just no download for a Nios II IDE that is working with Quartus II 4.1. 

So to cut long terms short: Is it possible to get the Nios II IDE for Quartus II V4.1 as download somewhere from Altera. I still have this old Parrallel port dongle that we used in that days (today, we have a floating liscence) so that it just should work if I can get my hands on it. 

I would appreciate any help on this issue! 

Thanks, 

Maik 

P.S.: For the curious guys: Yes, I think it is all my fault that I'm in that trouble as I think I just have thrown away the installation CDs some time (years) ago because I was just convinced that I can get everything as a download from Altera if I need it . . . .
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The NIOS II programmer is only programming flash right? With what; an .sof image for the FPGA plus a software image? It should not be difficult to create a new script to construct these two images. 

However, if you are determined to make sure you have an older version of the tools, I don't think you should have to go back to Quartus 4.1. I use 9.2sp1 for FLEX10K devices. I'd recommend installing Quartus 10.xx into a Virtual Machine (VirtualBox works well). If you run the virtual machine in a Linux host, then you can give the USB-Blaster to the VM and program your hardware from the VM. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Dave, 

thanks for your answer. 

Unfortunately, I tried already the 6.1 Nios II EDS Tools that seem not to work as those tools seem to be too new, already. I think it should work with the 4.1 Version because this one is mentioned in our documentation and was reported by Quartus II 6.1 when I imported that old project (a copy of it) into the 6.1 version. 

So i really think that I need the old tools. 

But the one thing you mentioned is just interesting. In the script there is a .sof file refferenced. Additionally, if I check the JTAG chain of our hardware, I only see the Cyclone I FPGA, but no flash. So I already thought to myself that the FPGA will be configured as some kind of flash programmer by the nios2-flash-programmer.exe. Then, the flash image will be programmed into the flash device by via the FPGA. This sound pretty much like I program the Cyclone III config device with my .jic file. 

So, is it possible to do the same thing with the most current nios2-flash-programmer? I have not found a similar "--sof" parameter in the documentation I have at hand for my Nios II tools. 

Maybe, if it is possible I better create a new programming script with the most recent tools. However, I think I need a little help on that since I usually only do .pof or .jic programming . . . 

Regards, 

Maik
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

In the script there is a .sof file referenced. Additionally, if I check the JTAG chain of our hardware, I only see the Cyclone I FPGA, but no flash. 

--- Quote End ---  

Flash will not show up in the JTAG chain. Most likely the Cyclone I is configured from EPCS. Did you look at the schematic for the board? 

--- Quote Start ---  

So I already thought to myself that the FPGA will be configured as some kind of flash programmer by the nios2-flash-programmer.exe. Then, the flash image will be programmed into the flash device by via the FPGA. This sound pretty much like I program the Cyclone III config device with my .jic file. 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes, exactly. If you look at the schematic and see an EPCS flash, then you can just program it using a .jic. Once you confirm that works, you can use whatever file the command-line tool expects. For example, I believe you can save the JTAG chain from the programmer GUI, and then use that from the command-line. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think it is easy that every version of qt and sdk of NIOS can be found in this official ftp . 

ftp://ftp.altera.com/outgoing/release 

4.1 & 5.0 & 5.1
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

@fdsa: The link is great. I found the correct Nios II version and everything works like documented! Thanks for that! 

@Dave: In order to decrease the number of QuartusII/Nios II versions I'm dealing with, I will convert the programming files. Right now, I can release the preassure a little bit because production is running again! 

Thanks guys! 

Maik
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Wow that saved my life 

I needed to rebuild an old environment for NIOS 5.1 but the main download altera web page have only 6.0 and up (don´t know why). 

0 Kudos