Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

How to set Speed: 100 Mbits full duplex instead oft Auto-negotiation on DE2-115 board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Friend's 

I have altera De2-115 board ....i want set speed: 100 mbits full duplex instead of auto-negotiation

How do i do this task ?. 

Kaushal
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You'll need to write to the PHY's mdio registers. Register 0 is the control register, where you can disable autonegotiation and force 100Mbps speed. 

IEEE 802.3 Clause 22 contains the full details of this register, but here's the register contents: 

15 - reset 

14 - loopback 

13 - speed lsb 6,13 = 01 for 100mbps 

12 - aneg enable 

11 - power down 

10 - isolate 

9 - restart aneg 

8 - duplex, 1 = full, 0 = half 

7 - collision test 

6 - speed, msb 

5 - unidirectional enable 

4:0 - rsvd (0) 

For 100Mbps, full duplex: 

1010 0001 0000 0000 

or, 0xA100 

Are you positive you want to disable autoneg? If you connect the board to a device that is configured for auto-negotiation, it will parallel detect and you'll get a duplex mismatch. You could also configure the device to advertise 100Mbps only, but still use autonegotiation. You can do this via register 4 (and don't forget to hit the soft reset bit in register 0 after making any changes in register 4). If you have a 10/100/1000 PHY and you want to disable advertising for 1000BaseT, you'll also have to configure register 9.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

where is the location of PHY's mdio registers. & control register, or how could i write the mentioned value in these registers.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is it in file altera_avalon_tse.c ..? 

line no. 1573 (for auto-negotiation ) and  

line no 1830 (for speed)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Once you have configured the TSE MAC with the correct PHY address (register mdio_addr0 or mdio_addr1, described on page 6-5 of the TSE's datasheet) the MDIO registers are directly mapped as TSE registers (see MDIO space 0 and MDIO space 1 on page 6-2). 

If you are using Altera's driver with the Interniche TCP/IP stack, after initialization the PHY address is already set up in mdio_addr1 so you can directly access the MDIO registers in MDIO space 1.
0 Kudos