Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12435 Discussions

How to test the Avalon MM interface in C?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I have written a program in VHDL which is compatible with the Avalon MM slave interface and i have generated it in SOPC-builder. 

I would like to write a small test program in C to see if it works as it should but I don't know how to communicate with it (how to write and read from it). Should I use IOWR and IORD in some kind of way or do someone have a better suggestion? I am kind of new with this so I would really appreciate an answer.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, just use the IORD and IOWR macros in a software uploaded to a Nios CPU to access your component. When generating the BSP you should get a system.h file that contains the base address of your component. 

Another alternative if you want to test it from your PC without using a Nios CPU is the system console tool.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for your answer!