Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

How to transfer data to pc?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Anyone can help? 

I'm a starter. So.....Please help me!! 

Thanks 

best regard, 

steven
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What about using the JTAG UART? 

Presumably this is too obvious an answer, so you need to be more specific about exactly what you want to transfer.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your suggestion. 

Following are my required: 

My project is about audio decoder. 

I would like transfer its result(finish decoder) to pc specific path. 

I ever think that can use UART,but I didn't know how to begin!! 

I have been read its data sheet(about UART). 

So...........I wanna know something what I must be do..............
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

To transfer data from Nios II to a PC you need to: 

On the target: connect stdout to the JTAG UART (system library properties page) and write to stdout. 

On the host: run nios2-terminal in a shell window and pipe its output into whatever application you want to handle the data.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

On the target: connect stdout to the JTAG UART (system library properties page) and write to stdout. 

Sorry, I didn't know What are you mean? Can you say more detail?(Thick word) 

How to connect stdout to UART and write to stdout??^^ 

On the host: run nios2-terminal in a shell window and pipe its output into whatever application you want to handle the data.  

It means "UART"?? and must understand rs232 handbook?(Thick world) 

I'm a starter with NIOS & c . So...........Thanks NIOS God!! ^^ 

best regard, 

Hsin-Ju http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by jpy0918@Mar 24 2005, 07:04 PM 

on the target: connect stdout[/b] to the JTAG UART (system library properties page) and write to stdout. 

Sorry, I didn&#39;t know What are you mean? Can you say more detail?(Thick word) 

How to connect stdout to UART and write to stdout??^^ 

It means "UART"?? and must understand rs232 handbook?(Thick world) 

I&#39;m a starter with NIOS & c . So...........Thanks NIOS God!! ^^ 

best regard, 

Hsin-Ju http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif [/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

Anybody know?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think you probably need to follow the tutorials. 

Once you have created a software project (hello_world_0 for example) you can right click on it and select the menu item "System Library properties" to open up the system library page. 

If you don&#39;t know what "pipe" means then you need a good book on Unix shell programming (the Nios II shell is based on bash).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by wombat@Mar 29 2005, 05:08 AM 

i think you probably need to follow the tutorials. 

once you have created a software project (hello_world_0 for example) you can right click on it and select the menu item "system library properties" to open up the system library page. 

if you don&#39;t know what "pipe" means then you need a good book on unix shell programming (the nios ii shell is based on bash). 

--- Quote End ---  

About "pipe",I will find the book on Unix shell programming ! 

About "System Library properties",I also didn&#39;t know what do you mean? 

I hope you can tell me how to connect stdout and write to stdout.... 

Thanks 

best regard, 

Hsin-Ju
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

These are the steps you need to take. Please tell me if you need more details regarding any of them: 

1) Switch on your computer. 

2) Start up the IDE. 

3) Create a new project, based on hello_world 

4) Switch the IDE to the C/C++ projects view. 

5) Position your mouse over the project you just created, which is probably called hello_world_0 or something like that. 

6) Press the right hand mouse button. 

7) From the menu which will appear select the item called "system library properties". A dialog box should appear titled "system library". 

8) One of the fields in this dialog box is called "stdout". The dropdown next to this field lists all the hardware devices which can be used as stdout. Choose the JTAG UART or UART. 

9) Double click on the file "hello_world.c" in the projects view. 

10) Edit your file to include the text "printf("This text goes to stdout\n"); - printf always writes to stdout. 

11) Right clock on your project again and choose "run as hardware".
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by wombat@Mar 31 2005, 05:49 AM 

these are the steps you need to take.  please tell me if you need more details regarding any of them: 

1) switch on your computer. 

2) start up the ide. 

3) create a new project, based on hello_world 

4) switch the ide to the c/c++ projects view. 

5) position your mouse over the project you just created, which is probably called hello_world_0 or something like that. 

6) press the right hand mouse button. 

7) from the menu which will appear select the item called "system library properties".  a dialog box should appear titled "system library". 

8) one of the fields in this dialog box is called "stdout".  the dropdown next to this field lists all the hardware devices which can be used as stdout.  choose the jtag uart or uart. 

9) double click on the file "hello_world.c" in the projects view. 

10) edit your file to include the text "printf("this text goes to stdout\n"); - printf always writes to stdout. 

11) right clock on your project again and choose "run as hardware". 

--- Quote End ---  

1) 2) 4) 

I didn&#39;t understand fully! 

What do you mean? IDE? Switch to PC? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by jpy0918+mar 31 2005, 06:55 am--><div class='quotetop'>quote (jpy0918 @ mar 31 2005, 06:55 am)</div> 

--- quote start ---  

<!--quotebegin-wombat@Mar 31 2005, 05:49 AM 

these are the steps you need to take.  please tell me if you need more details regarding any of them: 

1) switch on your computer. 

2) start up the ide. 

3) create a new project, based on hello_world 

4) switch the ide to the c/c++ projects view. 

5) position your mouse over the project you just created, which is probably called hello_world_0 or something like that. 

6) press the right hand mouse button. 

7) from the menu which will appear select the item called "system library properties".  a dialog box should appear titled "system library". 

8) one of the fields in this dialog box is called "stdout".  the dropdown next to this field lists all the hardware devices which can be used as stdout.  choose the jtag uart or uart. 

9) double click on the file "hello_world.c" in the projects view. 

10) edit your file to include the text "printf("this text goes to stdout\n"); - printf always writes to stdout. 

11) right clock on your project again and choose "run as hardware". 

--- Quote End ---  

1) 2) 4) 

I didn&#39;t understand fully! 

What do you mean? IDE? Switch to PC? 

Thanks [/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

??
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As wombat has already suggested, please try the tutorials _first_. 

Your questions will be answered by doing both the Hardware and Software Tutorials.  

The Hardware Tutorial can be found in <nios2_root>/tutorials/niosII_hardware_tutorial. There is a PDF file, which will tell you the detailed steps. 

The Software Tutorial is available "inside" the IDE (Nios II IDE) that wombat has already referred to... It can be found on the Help menu. You can open the IDE from within SOPC Builder (which you will learn about in the hardware tutorial). 

You&#39;ve got to understand this basic stuff, first, before trying to do anything else. 

Best Regards, 

- slacker
0 Kudos