Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

How to use Ethernet ports for DE4 board without Nios II

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have a DE4 board. I've seen many designs for Ethernet connections on DE4 board, but all of them are related to Qsys and Nios II. 

My intention here is not to use Nios II, and Qsys if possible. I'm trying to send some collected data from my DSP part through Ethernet to a PC for debugging system. 

I don't have any idea how to establish a design in such way. Right now, I know HDLs language, familiar with DSP Builder, Matlab and Quartus (version 2016). 

Could you help me to find a way to do it. 

Thank you.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, anybody here? 

I just used DE4 System Generator to generate a Quartus project for testing. 

They generated for me those ports: 

//////////// Ethernet x 4 ////////// 

ETH_INT_n, 

ETH_MDC, 

ETH_MDIO, 

ETH_RST_n, 

ETH_RX_p, 

ETH_TX_p, 

Anybody know how to use these ports, because I can't find any way to do it on Google?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Reference designs use Nios & Qsys, and the IP behind them, for good reason. It can be very involved. 

However, if you want to interface directly to the Ethernet Phy then you can consider implement an MII interface in logic. How practical a solution you can realise will depend on the protocol the kit you're interfacing to is running. Full Ethernet stack? Then it's going to be difficult. 

See Wikipedia 'media-independent interface (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/media-independent_interface)' for starters. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Reference designs use Nios & Qsys, and the IP behind them, for good reason. It can be very involved. 

However, if you want to interface directly to the Ethernet Phy then you can consider implement an MII interface in logic. How practical a solution you can realise will depend on the protocol the kit you're interfacing to is running. Full Ethernet stack? Then it's going to be difficult. 

See Wikipedia 'media-independent interface (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/media-independent_interface)' for starters. 

Cheers, 

Alex 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, thank for answering me. 

Actually, here's my problem now: 

I'm having a DE4 board using a Stratix IV FPGAs, with 4 Ethernet ports. This board is used for collecting data from an other device. But that's not a main part, my project require me to transfer 4 data paths with speed of 128 Mbit/s to a host PC. 

Do you have any solution for this? 

As I see it now, my solution was designing a logic module to help transfer collected data directly from the FPGAs to host PC through Ethernet connection to increase transferring speed. Because I have a friend working on Nios solution and his result for transferring collected data is not so good. 

In 2nd post, it's a interface for Marvel 88E1111, an IC the board used as a bride between FPGAs and Ethernet port. 

Thank you.
0 Kudos