Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12366 Discussions

How to use On-Chip Memory in GHRD on Atlas-SoC board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hello! 

I want to transfer some data from FPGA to program that is running under Linux in HPS part. I am using DE0-Nano-SoC with 5CSEMA4U23C6 and GHRD. 

GHRD already contains On-Chip Memory in Qsys project and this memory is connected with HPS via h2f_axi_master. I was trying to store 32'hF0F0F0F0 words from within ghrd.v and then read it in Linux by opening /dev/mem but it filled with zeros since 0xC0000000 that must be the base address of the memory untill +0x8000 

Below is the part of ghrd.v that I was added 

adccounter addr_cnt( .clk(FPGA_CLK1_50) , .rst(~KEY) , .out(add) ); defparam addr_cnt.W = 14; soc_system_onchip_memory2_0 m( .address(add) , .byteenable(4'b1111) , .chipselect(1'b1) , .clk(FPGA_CLK1_50) , .clken(1'b1) , .reset(hps_fpga_reset_n) , .reset_req(1'b0) , .write(1'b1) , .writedata(32'hF0F0F0F0) , .readdata(datain) ); 

Whats wrong with such design? Why I can't get the data in HPS? 

Could anybody tell how to use this memory properly or point me to some examples? 

Thanks a lot in advance!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hello, did you figure it out?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hello! 

Yes I did, but I can't remember the solution exactly. 

Generaly I was just reperformed each step very carefully. I also remember that it was important to regenerate C libraries after design is generated and not to forget to use these new generated libraries in your C program. 

I'll try to remember the details and maybe repeate this again and I'll put the steps here
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Wow, I still stack on it. On your code example you are using Second Instance of soc_system_onchip_memory2_0, because first one is created by Qsys in GHRD project by default. So, investigated situation by the in-system memory editor I'v found, that C code with base 0xC0000000 has access to the first instance, and your code makes second instance with these bytes (hF0F0F0F0) and there is no intersections.  

I will appreciate if you can provide any examples of your code.  

I want: 

1. write data from HPS to RAM 

2. read it from FPGA  

Many thanks!
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

OK, I'll do my best to find the code. Actually I was chaged the operation system on my work station since that time and this project is somewhere in the backup file. I can't just open it and copy the code here but give a little bit of time. 

I also not very happy with the solution I found
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I also remembered that I became more happy when switched to lightweight AXI

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Many thanks for the answers. I'v got it! The idea is using Dual-port for soc_system_onchip_memory2_0, then it is available for hps and fpga. So my question is solved.