Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

How to use modular scatter gather DMA with Triple-Speed Ethernet

corestar
New Contributor I

I'm attempting to use the NIOS-II socket server example on a Cyclone V with Quartus 18.0 standard. The example hardware uses the regular scatter gather DMA but when I create the NIOS-II project,  the compile errors seem to indicate it wants the modular scatter-gather DMA.

So I'm trying to change the hardware to use the Modular Scatter-Gather DMA. But QSYS is giving the errors shown in the attached image and below:

Error: q_sys.eth_tse.receive/dma_rx.st_sink: The source has a startofpacket signal of 1 bits, but the sink does not.
Error: q_sys.eth_tse.receive/dma_rx.st_sink: The source has a endofpacket signal of 1 bits, but the sink does not.
Error: q_sys.dma_tx.st_source/eth_tse.transmit: The sink has a startofpacket signal of 1 bits, but the source does not.
Error: q_sys.dma_tx.st_source/eth_tse.transmit: The sink has a endofpacket signal of 1 bits, but the source does not.

Am I connecting the Modular Scatter-Gather DMA correctly? It looks to me like it does not need separate onchip RAM for the descriptors. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SengKok_L_Intel

Hi,

The Avalon ST interface is sending data in the packet (with SOP and EOP signal), in this case, you have to enable the "Packet Support Enable" option in the Modular Scatter Gather DMA IP.

Regards -SK

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SengKok_L_Intel

Hi,

The Avalon ST interface is sending data in the packet (with SOP and EOP signal), in this case, you have to enable the "Packet Support Enable" option in the Modular Scatter Gather DMA IP.

Regards -SK

0 Kudos
corestar
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

Since this forum answered your question, if further support is needed in this thread, please post a response within 15 days. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you with your follow-up questions. 

0 Kudos
BIdro
New Contributor I

Hi Corestar,

I have the same issue. Can you share the qsys scheme?

I'm not sure how connect the components.

Thanks,

Bryan

0 Kudos
corestar
New Contributor I

Hello @BIdro ,

I'm afraid we abandoned the NIOS II years ago (ok tools but way too slow) and Altera SoC (nonsensical tools) and I don't really remember exactly what I did. But I think I took the standard simple socket server example project and enabled "Packet Support Enable"  as suggested by the moderator.

Thanks

0 Kudos