Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

How to verify that my Analog Digital Converter (ADC) is giving the correct result

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there, 

I have created Analog Digital Converter (ADC) as custom component interfacing with Nios ii using Altera Monitor Program. I am using Terasic DE0-Nano Cyclone IV. The ADC model is NS ADC128S022, 8-Channel, 12-bit A/D Converter, 50 Ksps to 200 Ksps. 

On the terminal at Altera Monitor Program, I can see the converted values of the eight channels. 

Forgive me that I am really new to hardware world... 

What I want to do is to verify that my ADC is giving the correct result, how could I achieve this using Altera Monitor Program? 

If the above is not possible, I am wondering how to use RS232 UART to verify that my ADC is giving the correct result?  

Any resources or links would be appreciated as I can say that I know nothing about how to perform this using RS232 UART.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

To verify it is correct, you will need to measure voltage levels on the board, to check against the expected values in your FPGA.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

To verify it is correct, you will need to measure voltage levels on the board, to check against the expected values in your FPGA. 

--- Quote End ---  

Tricky, thanks for your reply... 

How could I use RS232 UART to send data to my ADC and to show the converted value on the screen in order to verify the results? I know I am blur on this, very bad understanding in hardware, forgive me 

I think my question is how can I use RS232 UART to verify the results (converted digital outputs match the analog inputs)?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Does the ADC have a RS232 port? 

WHat you probably want is an RS232 core in the FPGA - then you can easily look at the results in real time.
0 Kudos