Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12366 Discussions

How to verify that my Analog Digital Converter (ADC) is giving the correct result

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi there, 

I have created Analog Digital Converter (ADC) as custom component interfacing with Nios ii using Altera Monitor Program. I am using Terasic DE0-Nano Cyclone IV. The ADC model is NS ADC128S022, 8-Channel, 12-bit A/D Converter, 50 Ksps to 200 Ksps. 

On the terminal at Altera Monitor Program, I can see the converted values of the eight channels. 

Forgive me that I am really new to hardware world... 

What I want to do is to verify that my ADC is giving the correct result, how could I achieve this using Altera Monitor Program? 

If the above is not possible, I am wondering how to use RS232 UART to verify that my ADC is giving the correct result?  

Any resources or links would be appreciated as I can say that I know nothing about how to perform this using RS232 UART.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

To verify it is correct, you will need to measure voltage levels on the board, to check against the expected values in your FPGA.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

To verify it is correct, you will need to measure voltage levels on the board, to check against the expected values in your FPGA. 

--- Quote End ---  

Tricky, thanks for your reply... 

How could I use RS232 UART to send data to my ADC and to show the converted value on the screen in order to verify the results? I know I am blur on this, very bad understanding in hardware, forgive me 

I think my question is how can I use RS232 UART to verify the results (converted digital outputs match the analog inputs)?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Does the ADC have a RS232 port? 

WHat you probably want is an RS232 core in the FPGA - then you can easily look at the results in real time.