Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12366 Discussions

How would one put the FPGA HW + Nios II SW image together on the following memories

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

When it comes to external memories to store configuration data, we have the following options: 

1. EPCS. 

2. EPCQ. 

3. CFI Flash. 

4. Quad SPI. 

5. NAND Flash. 

If I have a design containing NIOS, how would I put the HW (that comes from .sof) + SW (that comes from .elf) images into a single image to program any of these flash memories? What steps are needed? Are the steps the same for them?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

For EPCS, you would use the EPCS Serial Flash Controller Core IP block and use a JIC programming file. 

For the parallel and SPI flash, I believe you are looking at multiple images needed.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi, 

i do create my epcs images using the following commands from the Nios Command Shell: 

sof2flash --epcs --compress --input=hw.sof --output=hw.flash elf2flash --epcs --after=hw.flash --input=sw.elf --output=sw.flash  

Now i do have 2 flash files which are combined via: 

cat hw.flash sw.flash > image.flash  

And converted to epcs binary 

nios2-elf-objcopy -I srec -O binary image.flash image.bin  

Now your image.bin can be wriiten directly to address 0 of your epcs, or to another address if you use the Remote_Config IP. 

I do not have any experience concerning the other Flash types, but think there's an equal approach.