Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12386 Discussions

I want to a web server which have a cgi interface

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

My board is cyclone,and now i have a niosII,I want to construct a web server whick have a cgi interface to translate a command through the internet to the board. 

who can help me?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

A good place to start would be the Nios II example design, which has a webserver on. What sort of command do you want the CGI to execute? If you just want to do normal CGI stuff this isn't far beyond what the example shows; you can have your script run any system command. If you want to program the hardware through a CGI then this is a little trickier but still only a small extension to the code. 

You might like to also look at the example for Excalibur boards, which has a webserver into which you can upload a .sof file and have it reprogram the hardware. 

Have fun playing with your Nios II, and good luck!
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Thank you for your reply. 

But what is the Excalibur boards ? where can i find the examples for the Excalibur boards?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Excalibur is a line of development boards that Altera sells. The Excalibur chip contains an FPGA, SRAM, and an ARM9 processor. You can find out everything about them on Altera's website: if you go to "Devices" it is low down on the left bar, where it says "Embedded Processors". application note 285 (http://www.altera.com/literature/an/an285.pdf) gives you the details, and the design files for the example (http://www.altera.com/literature/an/an285.zip) are available. 

It might be a significant amount of work to make this work for boards without a hard core, though, especially if you program the board with a design that doesn't include the webserver. One approach would be to keep the webserver code in Flash so you can get back to it with just a reset.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Thank you very much! Best wishes to you!