Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

I want to use own tool chain, how could i install new too chain in the DS-5?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Where is the place I can add the new tool chain from the DS-5? I wanted to use the MinGW gcc compiler. Pls help ! I am using window 7 operating system with 15.0 Soceds.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you with window environment try this guide.. this tool will help you to set the environment in the window and include the DS-5 tool path  

"http://www.mingw.org/wiki/howto_install_the_mingw_gcc_compiler_suite" easier than A B C...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can go to the project property, C+++ then environment to check after the installation of the mingw tool kit. Also please go to the tool chain editor and see if the new tool chain had been installed correctly.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks , I already install the Mingw tool. it is another stand alone installer, so just check accordingly? for which tool chain I required?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

just launch the minGW launcher... select the basic tab. select all tool chain there... and let the installer configure everything.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Great ! Where i can select the tool chain?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Great ! Where i can select the tool chain? 

--- Quote End ---  

hi ths had been mentioned before, you right click at your project tree, then go to properties, c++ than you may see a tool chain column.. just select the new tool chain. remember to rebuild everything.!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Of course this depend on what you going to build, sometime it may flag for some warning message for some data format or syntax. cheers.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am doing some university project ..

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

the installation had already included several type of usable compilers for users.. i believe is sufficient for normal application users.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

agree with citybank!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have the same problem, but slightly deeper: 

When trying to select toolchain (Pref/DS-5/Toolchains) on blank tab page you can see: "An error has occurred when creating this preference page". 

and textbox with caption problem occured and text inside: 

unable to create the selected preference page. 

an error occurred while automatically activating  

bundle com.arm.eclipse.build.toolchains (457). 

error log/exception stack trace: 

--- Quote Start ---  

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: An error occurred while automatically activating bundle com.arm.eclipse.build.toolchains (457). 

at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.hooks.EclipseLazyStarter.postFindLocalClass(EclipseLazyStarter.java:116) 

at com.arm.workbench.Hook.run(Hook.java:438) 

Caused by: org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Exception in com.arm.eclipse.build.toolchains.ToolchainManagerPlugin.start() of bundle com.arm.eclipse.build.toolchains. 

at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl.startActivator(BundleContextImpl.java:792) 

at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.hooks.EclipseLazyStarter.postFindLocalClass(EclipseLazyStarter.java:107) 

... 171 more 

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: java.net.URISyntaxException: Illegal character in scheme name at index 7: initial@reference:file:../../../host_tools/mentor/gnu/arm/plugins/com.altera.ds5ae.toolchain.gcc.baremetal_16.1.0.201610250243.jar 

at com.arm.eclipse.build.toolchains.ToolchainManager.convertToURI(ToolchainManager.java:132) 

at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl.startActivator(BundleContextImpl.java:764) 

... 178 more 

Caused by: java.net.URISyntaxException: Illegal character in scheme name at index 7: initial@reference:file:../../../host_tools/mentor/gnu/arm/plugins/com.altera.ds5ae.toolchain.gcc.baremetal_16.1.0.201610250243.jar 

at java.net.URI$Parser.fail(URI.java:2848) 

at com.arm.eclipse.build.toolchains.ToolchainManager.convertToURI(ToolchainManager.java:129) 

... 185 more 

--- Quote End ---  

I tried to clean installation and reinstall (DS-5) only and (EDS+DS5) several times, but it doesnt help. So I failed to change TC and do build manually. 

Maybe someone have and solved the same problem ? 

PS: im using DS-5 installed with EDS 16.1.0.916 by Intel/Altera (Version: Luna SR2 (4.4.2) Build id: M20150204-1700)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I have the same problem, but slightly deeper: 

I tried to clean installation and reinstall (DS-5) only and (EDS+DS5) several times, but it doesnt help. So I failed to change TC and do build manually. 

Maybe someone have and solved the same problem ? 

--- Quote End ---  

I also had this problem when using DS-5 on Ubuntu 16.04. I had to run DS-5 as root for toolchains to work properly.
0 Kudos