Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

IOWR_XXDIRECT latency

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all! 

I'm experiencing some strange latency when using IOWR macros. I've added added custom 8-bit slave to QSYS and got huge number of cycles to read/write its registers. I thought that this issue related to some mistakes in my peripherial but then I've tried to read on-chip memory and got the same result! 

Here is the code, I'm using performance counter: 

int main() { PERF_RESET(PERFORMANCE_COUNTER_0_BASE); PERF_START_MEASURING(PERFORMANCE_COUNTER_0_BASE); PERF_BEGIN(PERFORMANCE_COUNTER_0_BASE,1); IORD_8DIRECT(ONCHIP_MEMORY2_0_BASE, PRER_LO); PERF_END(PERFORMANCE_COUNTER_0_BASE,1); PERF_BEGIN(PERFORMANCE_COUNTER_0_BASE,2); IORD_16DIRECT(ONCHIP_MEMORY2_0_BASE, PRER_LO); PERF_END(PERFORMANCE_COUNTER_0_BASE,2); PERF_BEGIN(PERFORMANCE_COUNTER_0_BASE,3); IORD_32DIRECT(ONCHIP_MEMORY2_0_BASE, PRER_LO); PERF_END(PERFORMANCE_COUNTER_0_BASE,3); perf_print_formatted_report(PERFORMANCE_COUNTER_0_BASE,50000000,3,"IORD_8","IORD_16","IORD32"); return 0; } 

And what I get: 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10849&stc=1  

Ok, timer adds some time to this, as I measured, 30 clock cycles. So we have about 20 clock cycles per word, still bad. What could I do wrong? 

I'm using Quartus 15.0 Web Edition and Nios 2 Gen 2 /e.
0 Kudos
0 Replies