Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Import TCL into SOPC Builder

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi folks- 

I have a pair of files reresenting a component generated by SOPC Builder under Quartus. They are the .v and the .tcl files. I'd like to use them (import them) in SOPC Builder for a different Quartus project. 

If I click on the "Add" button after creating a new component I can import the .v file but I don't see any way to import the .tcl file with it. 

How can I import the .v file and import the .tcl file with it? 

Thanks, John Speth
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The _hw.tcl file describes the GUI that gets displayed when you click "Add" and how the system should interface to your component. The HDL code is your component. 

I usually place custom components in a subdirectory of my project or in a central location where others can access them...depending on how useful I think they'll be. 

In order to bring your component into your new project, you need to change your SOPC Builder search path to include it and or just copy the subdirectory into your project. I've never used the "Import" option and don't even know what it does, but I don't believe it to be necessary. 

Regards, 

--slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks, Slacker. Your reply gave me the idea I needed to solve my problem. 

"Import" is my term, not an official SOPC Builder function.  

Apparently, SOPC Builder will scan whatever directories are named in the IP search path list and include IP in the component list for every block that is described with a V/TCL file pair. My SOPC Builder didn't have any IP search directories (not even my project directory). I pointed the search path to my project directory containing the V/TCL file pair and it showed up in my list when I clicked the Finish button. The IP search path can be entered from the Tools/Options/IP search path dialog box. 

JJS
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, and that recursive search is a PITA - it makes it difficult to save old/debug/broken copies of things in subdirectories (etc).

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I thought that's what the VERSION property was for, no?

0 Kudos