Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

Info on add_edit_ui WIZARD_UI PTFs?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by altera sopc builder ptf file reference manual page 65 

CLASS <class_name>/USER_INTERFACE/WIZARD_UI[/b] 

[...] The contents of a WIZARD_UI section is outside the scope of this document.[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

Nothing else in the documents directory in my Nios install covers this, so I&#39;m wondering if there is a document that covers these PTFs, and where can I get it? 

BTW, I currently have Nios 3.2. They tell me that the Nios II update ships July 7, so if there&#39;s something in there, I haven&#39;t seen it yet. 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As far as I know there is no external documentation. BUT you can easily figure it out by looking in the Altera provided class.ptf files. 

I&#39;m asking now if there&#39;s anyhting we can send you.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Primarily, I was looking for a straight reference so I know what it can do. I&#39;m trying to write a generatable component that I could potentially post on this forum, so I want to use standard tools as much as possible, and I figured that I wasn&#39;t the only one writing things like this, hence my question. 

Since there is no external reference, the next best thing I can do is try to create one by looking at the various class.ptf files that are in the Nios distro. As for what you can send me... anything on this topic that Altera has no legal problem posting in a public forum such as this. I don&#39;t want to get into trouble with NDAs or IP law or anything. 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Actually, I would look at the Nios II components. Or are you waiting for those components. THey&#39;re a bit different as far as software goes. 

I believe there&#39;s some guidelines that go out to partners, I&#39;ll have to see what is available. If you have specific questions, I think we&#39;d be happy to answer them!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by kerri@Jun 25 2004, 12:58 PM 

actually, i would look at the nios ii components. or are you waiting for those components. 

--- Quote End ---  

I am waiting for those with much anticipation, but that&#39;s at least two weeks out from now. But I need the peripheral (a generic FIFO interface, parameterized by read/write mode, depth, width, flags chosen, etc.) soon, so I was writing it now. The guy on the web seminar a couple weeks back seemed to imply that the SOPC peripherals haven&#39;t changed much since Nios 3.2, aside from some internal optimizations. It didn&#39;t look like add_edit_ui itself changed at all (can&#39;t see why it would need to). We&#39;ll see. 

Also, since my project (the chip, not the FIFO peripheral) is rather far along in schedule, I&#39;d like to keep it on the stripped-down Nios-16 so I can finish it next month. However, if there is a peripheral like this in Nios II, please let me know so I don&#39;t spend lots of time reinventing a wheel. 

I&#39;ll have specific questions as soon as I finish digging through the class.ptf files. Thanks again!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So far I don&#39;t think you&#39;ll be getting the docs soon. But we are trying to get them releasable. SO, in the future you may be able to access them.  

BUT the person responsible for the GUI code is willing and happy to answer questions you may have. So, ask away.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Here&#39;s what I&#39;ve got so far:[list][*]What effect does a DEBUG {} block have? I&#39;ve seen it in a couple of places. 

[*]What is the format for the WAVEFORM/ITEM/value field? 

[*]What is the Europa library that you use to generate your Perl module-generation scripts? 

[*]What language is used between the {{ }} delimiters in strings? 

[/list]More questions later, I&#39;m sure...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

> What effect does a DEBUG {} block have? I&#39;ve seen it in a couple of places. 

This lets a particular component turn enable UI debugging, versus the global enable method. You may place a single assignment inside the debug section which indicates the debug-level, e.g.: 

DEBUG 

level = 2; 

The level 0 (zero) means debugging is off, and level 9 is the highest level currently used (with level 9, you will see every command-line of every external program run). Pretty much everything else prints when debugging is set to level 1 as the "level" feature was only recently added. 

The global-enable method: add the following assignment to your ~/.sopc_builder/.sopc_builder file: 

sopc_ui_debug = 1; 

(choose any debug level, 0/1..9) On windows, ~ is your %USERPROFILE% directory (typ. C:\Documents and Settings\<username>) 

>What is the format for the WAVEFORM/ITEM/value field? 

This is something we have no documentation for, and it isn&#39;t easily described in a reply -- but here is an attempt. The format is basically a comma-delimited series of directives. The directives are: 

HH,HL,LH,LL: High-High, High-Low, etc. transitions 

CH,CL: Clock transitions (Low-High, High-Low) 

TT,TD,DT: Tristrate, Tristrate to/from double-line transitions 

VV: Vertical line 

TO: Time (called "the little circles" in the code) 

C<color>: color-change (CBLACK, CRED, CGREEN, CBLUE, CYELLOW supported) 

SC,SS: draw string with/without advancing cursor 

OO: dot,dot,dot 

X<#>,Y<#>: positional changes 

BB: advance cursor forward 

There is probably more to it than this, and I suggest making a little UI to try things out if you need to go deeper. For example: 

EDIT 

title = "Waveform Source"; 

DATA { $$waveform_source = "$"; } 

WAVEFORM 

ITEM { value = "{{ $$waveform_source }}"; 

Then when you type in the edit-field the waveform will draw... 

>What is the Europa library that you use to generate your Perl module-generation scripts? 

>What language is used between the {{ }} delimiters in strings? 

These are Altera-created languages/libraries which we&#39;ll be documenting in the future (near-future, hopefully). For now your best bet is to look at other components as Kerri pointed out, and ask questions in the forum as needed!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Topic resurrection... got another question... 

When an element has glue or align attributes, what elements do those affect? The element itself, or enclosed elements? 

My current case has code in the .PTF like so: 

GROUP ops {    align = "left";    GROUP    {        align = "left";        layout = "horizontal";        CHECK        {            title="Generate IRQ";        }        CHECK        {            title="Generate End-of-Packet";        }    }    CHECK    {        title="Data read/write can block master";    } } 

The first two check boxes appear on the same line, but they&#39;re centered, not left-justified. Just wondering what I&#39;m missing...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Layout attributes, such as align, generally affect the enclosed elements or the spacing between them.  

The particular behavior you are seeing is a symptom of using a horizontal layout in conjunction with an alignment attribute. The current code doesn&#39;t interpret this correctly, but you can use layout = "flow"; to achieve the left-alignment you are looking for (I suggest removing the align = "left"; for clarity). This &#39;flow&#39; layout stacks things horizontally end-to-end from the left. 

- mfairman
0 Kudos