Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

InterNiche ARP requests

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am trying to receive destination device MAC address, when I know its IP address. In this case, ARP should help me. I can't find a proper way to call arp function to return the MAC address, since send_arp() or send_via_arp() requires pre-allocated packet, which I don't have. I need pure ARP packet to be sent on the network and get the response. 

Secondly, plugin installation to Nios2-IDE breaks GDB and You won't be able to debug the design. In this case, I can't fallow the test packet send routine. If I do udp_send(), then the ARP searches for destination, gets a response, and sends the packet. Too bad I don't need any packet to send, just get the MAC on the network. 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Workaround: use icmpEcho() for ping and the get the MAC address using recent arp table entry.